nuts + granolas + trail mix/ recipes/ season/ summer

Summer Raspberry Granola

Summer Raspberry Granola | Well and Full | #vegan #recipe

First of all, I just want to say how absolutely floored I am that so many of your read my thoughts on wellness in this post. The amount of thoughtful responses actually blew me away, and I can’t thank you all enough for participating in this discussion. Seriously though. Every single time a person comments on my post, it means they took the time out of their day to acknowledge something I created, and it really blows my mind!! When I started this blog, I figured that barely anyone would read it, much less my blogging role models like Jessie, Dana, Genevieve, Kathryn, and Julia! And then when Genevieve from Gratitude and Greens DM’ed me on Instagram with a photo of my mocha chip banana ice cream, I was floored that I blogger I admire so much actually made my recipe! Just the act of making something that I created is absolutely amazing to think about… it’s crazy how a single recipe can bring two people in two different countries together! And I hope my unbridled enthusiasm doesn’t come off as disingenous – it really does mean that much to me to see that someone has made my recipe. Genevieve, girl, you’re the best! :)

Summer Raspberry Granola | Well and Full | #vegan #recipeSummer Raspberry Granola | Well and Full | #vegan #recipeSummer Raspberry Granola | Well and Full | #vegan #recipe

As much as I blog for the food/photography/fun, something I did not expect is the connections I’ve made so far within the amazing food blogging community. You know, at first when I started following blogs, they were just that – blogs. I’d look at the recipes, make the cookies, whatever. But then I started reaching out to people, starting to make new connections. And then people started reaching out to me, which is not something I expected to happen as soon as it did!

While I’m writing this, I’m realizing that it probably sounds like I don’t have a lot of self-confidence in what I’m doing in this space. And I suppose that’s probably true to some degree. Actually, now that I think about it… I guess I’m pretty bad at self-promoting. I feel so weird pinning any of my photos from here onto Pinterest; I wish I could add the addendum “I’m so terribly sorry to have inconvenienced you with this pin, I do hope you like it but I understand if this has all been a terrible imposition.” But actually.

I’m really not exaggerating at all, though. Even though I’ve had this blog for almost three months now, I’ve only given the URL to three people – my best friend from work, my cousin, and my boyfriend. Seriously. I haven’t even shown it to my mom! And to be honest, I couldn’t really tell you why. I think it all stems from the way I was raised – my parents strongly encouraged me to follow a very conventional life path, which I have done so far. I went to a Catholic high school, graduated from the same college both of my parents went to (which I did love), then immediately got a corporate job as soon as my education was finished. My degree was in business, which was definitely not my passion. I would have loved to be a communications major or music teaching major, but my parents warned me that those majors would not lead to jobs. And I am lucky to have a stable job with benefits, but I feel like my whole life I’ve been making choices that my parents have wanted me to make. And don’t get me wrong – I have amazing parents. They care about me so much, and all they’ve wanted is for me to have a good life, and not to face the hardships they’ve faced.

But now that I’m on my own, I’m realizing that ultimately, I’m the one who has to live with the choices I’ve made – influenced from my parents or not. I’m coming to learn that this is why it’s so important to accept responsibility for our own choices. I clearly know how hard it can be to break free from external forces or pressuring. But in the end, I made the final choice for everything I did. I could have been a comm major, even if my parents would have been disappointed in me. It’s always a trade-off. But I ultimately made that decision. And now that I’m older and bearing the full responsiblity of my choices on my own, I realize that I need to start choosing things for me and not anyone else. That will always be something I struggle with, but it’s a learning journey and I’m excited to start being my own person.

Do any of you ever struggle with self-doubt in similar situations? Or feel like you have to be a certain way because of what others want from you? I’d love to hear about your experiences!

Summer Raspberry Granola | Well and Full | #vegan #recipe

Summer Raspberry Granola

Prep time
Cook time
Total time

This fresh, seasonal granola is a perfect way to use fresh berries from the farmers' markets! Raspberries can be subbed with strawberries or blueberries.
  • 2 Cups Rolled Oats
  • ⅓ Cup Almond Slivers
  • ¼ Cup Coconut Flakes
  • ⅔ Cup Raspberries
  • ¼ Cup Coconut Oil, melted
  • 1 Tbs Maple Syrup
  • Pinch Sea Salt
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
  2. In a small bowl, mash ⅔ cup raspberries with a fork.
  3. In a larger bowl, combine dry ingredients (rolled oats, almond slivers, coconut flakes) and mix.
  4. Add in mashed raspberries, melted coconut oil, maple syrup, and sea salt and mix until dry ingredients are evenly coated.
  5. On a tray lined with parchment paper, bake granola in the oven for 10 minutes, stirring halfway.
  6. When granola is finished baking, let cool for a few minutes.
  7. Serve with almond yogurt or coyo and fresh berries. Enjoy!

Summer Raspberry Granola | Well and Full | #vegan #recipe

While I’m mostly an indie/alternative gal, I grew up listening to the “oldies” with my mom. In fact, my favorite band of all time is The Beach Boys. Every now and again, I’ll break out my Fleetwood Mac, Peter Paul & Mary, Beatles, or Bread records (yes I actually have a record player). But recently, I’ve been digging some 70’s music, and been listening to the Bee Gees on repeat. This song is very special to me, and I hope you all like it!

Song of the Day:

To Love Somebody – The Bee Gees

spread the word!Pin on PinterestShare on Google+Share on StumbleUponShare on YummlyShare on RedditPrint this pageTweet about this on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on FacebookEmail this to someone

genevieve @ gratitude & greens
    July 20, 2015 at 2:57 pm

Oh Sarah, you are the absolute sweetest! The mocha chip banana ice cream was delicious and I loved every bite. Thank you thank you for the kind words :’)

I have lots of well-meaning family members who want the best for me, too, but I realized how important it was for me to find my passion, do what I love, and to be true to myself if I really wanted happiness and fulfillment in my life. So cheesy, I know! I’m so glad to hear that you are finally becoming your own person! I used to experience a lot of self-doubt but now I’m learning that sometimes the best thing to do is to not worry about the things I can’t change, make the best out of each situation, and to just trust in the future. It’s hard, though! I love granola and can’t wait to try this! I think every dessert is better with granola sprinkled on top, hehe.

PS. I listened to the oldies with my mom, too! She was a fan of the Bee Gees, Fleetwood Mac, the Beatles, the Carpenters, and a lot of other music from the 70s and 80s. Oh, and Whitney Houston, too!

WellAndFull
      July 20, 2015 at 6:29 pm

Haha not cheesy at all! As much as anyone in your life can influence you, ultimately you are the one who lives with the decisions you make! And it is really freaking hard sometimes to be your own person. I hear you on that! But it’s really nice when you have a friend who can relate :)

And YAAS listening to oldies with your mom!! I don’t know about you but when I was in the car with my mom growing up, I wasn’t allowed to listen to “my music”. We always listened to my mom’s music! And it being the 90’s / early 00’s, I didn’t have a stereo or iPod yet so I completely missed out on an entire decade of music (i.e. The Backstreet Boys, N’Sync, Britney Spears, etc). I only heard that kind of music at school dances + events! So subsequently I know the lyric to every Beach Boys song, but not a single one from the 90’s! Woof. ;)

Cady | Wild Heart of Life
    July 20, 2015 at 11:59 pm

Hahaha “I understand if this has all been a terrible imposition.” YES. I know how this feels. But please know your beautiful blog is far from an imposition! Your voice is impassioned and your recipes and photos are wonderful! Keep it up!

WellAndFull
      July 22, 2015 at 8:00 am

Thank you so much Cady!! :)

Kathryn @ The Scratch Artist
    July 21, 2015 at 6:58 am

Hi Sarah,
    Your gratitude did not come across disingenuous, at all! Your post really resonated with me. I think one of the biggest challenges is looking at your life and saying I did that. I created this. The good, the bad, the mediocre. It is so easy and compelling to point fingers, but where does that leave us? My family story is a bit complex, well, maybe a bit more than complex, but bottom line, as it stands now, I have a group of supporters who delight in me being me. It definitely was not always that way. And it was certainly a challenge staying true to myself when it was clear some of the people I cared deeply about were not happy with my choices. The journey of continually discovering who I am and subsequently expressing that to the world had always been a daunting one for me. But recently, the challenge has become thrilling and joyful. Interestingly, I think starting my blog has transformed the experience for me.
    P.S. I love the Bee Gees and you did not miss out on any 90s’/2000s music. I could use those hours back in my life!

WellAndFull
      July 21, 2015 at 7:53 am

I really like the way you described your experiences here… it makes me think of the multifaceted way we make choices. Like you said, we ultimately are the ones who “create” our own lives. But the power of a supportive, loving group cannot be denied. I’m so glad to hear that your blog has helped you in your journey!! :)

Kathryn @ The Scratch Artist
    July 21, 2015 at 7:35 am

OK, I am either the biggest dunce or you don’t have a private email listed anywhere…Do you have a way I can send you a private message?
    Thanks!

WellAndFull
      July 21, 2015 at 7:46 am

No, you weren’t mistaken – I did not leave a contact form anywhere!!! Rookie mistake on my part. Please feel free to shoot me a message at wellandfull@gmail.com, I’d love to hear from you :)

lynsey | lynseylovesfood
    July 21, 2015 at 7:39 am

self doubt fills us all i think – it creeps in especially when you put so much of yourself online and then can see what others are doing. You have great words, and great thoughts on food and health and have created a great space. Believing in yourself is the best thing you can do for yourself!! (at least it is what i tell myself everyday!) xo

WellAndFull
      July 21, 2015 at 7:56 am

Thanks Lynsey! I really appreciate that encouragement. :) You’re right, it’s definitely hard creating something in such a visible forum, and then constantly seeing what others are doing with their online spaces. I’ve always found self-doubt easy to fall victim to, but recently what I’ve been trying to do is treat myself like I would my best friend – I would never doubt her, or constantly question what she is doing. I would support and believe in her 100% of the way! So why wouldn’t I treat myself that way, you know?

Kathryn
    July 21, 2015 at 3:53 pm

From one finance professional with a blog on the side to another – I so get everything you say in this post. I sometimes/often find it hard to reconcile all the various parts of myself and different people’s expectations and my own sense of self. And there is a definite sense that I’m doing what I should be doing (and have always done that) and sometimes I long to break out of that. And then I remember that I have a massive mortgage to pay and that the job that I sometimes resent because it’s not what I want to be doing in my heart of hearts is what actually allows me to indulge in the stuff that does feed my soul (like blogging) and so it kind of works out in the end. Also, my mom still doesn’t know that my blog exists. Is that weird?

PS you’re too sweet for calling me one of your blogging role models. I’m totally flattered especially as I feel that I have a lot to learn from you!

WellAndFull
      July 21, 2015 at 6:25 pm

Thank you so much for your thoughtful note, Kathryn! Honestly I can’t tell you how amazing it was to me to read that you’re also a finance professional – your blog is so popular I just assumed it was your full time job! But I really can’t agree more with the things you said in your comment. My “real” job also allows me to have this blog, so I am grateful for it from that end. But it’s not what I want to be doing in my heart of hearts, either! But we financial professionals / food bloggers have to stick together, right?? ;) And oh my gosh about your mom!! Can I have her email address so I can show her the beautiful work her daughter is doing?? Well, I jest, but seriously!! You have so many amazing recipes, and accolades on your press page, I can’t believe she doesn’t know!

Jessie Snyder | Faring Well
    July 21, 2015 at 11:01 pm

Isn’t this blogging world magical?! The relationships formed are just amazing. I can’t count all the wonderful experiences I’ve had so far (including some of my most favorite with you!). So glad you are experiencing them as well, and know that we all doubt ourselves at times – but are also here to encourage one another! So take this as the truth it is, you are a wonderful, talented girl who’s parents must be so proud of (no matter what you choose to do) because its obvious you have a heart that could not intentionally do a wrong. <3

WellAndFull
      July 22, 2015 at 7:59 am

Aww Jessie I can’t tell you how much that means to me!! I remember when I first started my blog and kept thinking, I just want it to look as nice as Faring Well!!! Seeing what you did with your space was so formative to my own blogs’ creation, and the early emails we exchanged were everything to me…. Jessie, what photo editing software do you use?? How do you get such a light foreground and dark background?? What kind of camera do you have? Can you just make my blog for meee??? Hahaha but that was basically what it was like. But honestly girl, you are the absolutely sweetest and I am so glad I’ve been able to connect with you. :) :)

Anu-My Ginger Garlic Kitchen
    July 22, 2015 at 8:38 am

OH wow! What a sunning looking granola bowl! Wonder recipe and gorgeous photos!

WellAndFull
      July 22, 2015 at 8:48 am

Thank you!! :)

Kelly // The Pretty Bee
    July 22, 2015 at 8:53 am

This is a beautiful granola! I love all the raspberries in there!

WellAndFull
      July 22, 2015 at 11:14 am

Thank you so much, Kelly! :)

Julia
    July 22, 2015 at 10:31 am

Ohhhh girl, you should be so proud of yourself! I can’t believe you’ve only been blogging for three months and your site looks as clean and approachable as it does..plus your recipes are so amazing! You’ve done such an excellent job putting this site together – seriously…you should have seen mine after three months…total mess! With so many voices in the blogging world these days, it’s tough to find one as genuine as yours. Keep up the marvelous work, m’dear! Blogging can be so challenging, but the key is to realize you will have so many rewarding experiences along the way.

And this granola?! Brilliant! I love all things raspberry and the recipe sounds amazing. A real must try!

WellAndFull
      July 22, 2015 at 10:57 am

Thank you so so much for your note, Julia! I think your site / photography is amazing, so the fact that you also like mine is a really big deal to me!! :) And yes, blogging can definitely be a challenge. There’s so much that goes into it – just developing a recipe can be a challenge. You want to have something that’s approachable but not sophomoric, delicious but not too complicated, unique but not requiring readers to go to ridiculous lengths to get ingredients. And that’s not even photographing it, editing the photos, writing the post, and promoting it!! Woof! But it makes it all worth it when you have such an amazing community like this one to share it with :) Thanks again girl! :) :)

Erica @ SmartGirlsLift.com
    September 3, 2015 at 1:35 pm

OM-DROOL. This looks amazing. How long will this store and do you store it in the fridge or just an air-tight container? Thanks!

September 3, 2015 at 2:01 pm

I would store it in an air-tight container in the fridge!! It will stay freshest that way :)