breakfast + brunch/ recipes

Chickpea Scramble Breakfast Bowl

Chickpea Scramble Breakfast Bowl | Well and Full | #vegan #recipe

I’m currently home at my parents’ house; it’s almost 60 degrees outside and the sun is shining. Perfect spring weather. My mom and I are talking about the garden we’re going to have when I move back home. Oh, I’m moving back home, did I tell you? I finally (officially) quit my job in corporate finance (!!!!) and I’m moving back home while I pursue my degree in nutrition. Let’s be honest, living at home with your parents at the age of 23 is not the most ideal situation. But it makes the most sense financially, and I’m trying to keep an open mind about it. It’ll be interesting to see how the blog goes when I’m in my mother’s kitchen! My parents aren’t vegan or even close to being vegetarian, so I’m excited/nervous to see how they’ll deal with the deluge of vegan cooking I’m going to bring. My mom, for one, is pretty excited. No one else in my family is culinarily inclined, and this is going to be the first time since her childhood that someone else is going to do the cooking for her. On my part, I’m really looking forward to helping my mom and taking care of her a little, after all she’s done for me throughout my life. But it’ll definitely be a little crazy around here in the meantime, and I hope you all will stick around!

This chickpea scramble breakfast bowl is my vegan answer to scrambled eggs. I can’t take credit for the idea of “scrambling” chickpeas, but this is my version that I’ve come to love. Chickpeas are such a interesting ingredient…. the water in which the chickpeas sit in their can – known as aquafaba – has amazing, egg-like properties, and can be used for baking or even to make meringues. In this recipe, the aquafaba lends the chickpeas their scrambled egg-like texture.

Chickpea Scramble Breakfast Bowl | Well and Full | #vegan #recipeChickpea Scramble Breakfast Bowl | Well and Full | #vegan #recipeChickpea Scramble Breakfast Bowl | Well and Full | #vegan #recipe

5.0 from 3 reviews
Chickpea Scramble Breakfast Bowl

Prep time
Cook time
Total time

Move over scrambled eggs... this healthy, vegan chickpea scramble is incredibly easy to make and is crazy delicious!
Serves: 2 Bowls
Breakfast Bowl
  • Mixed Greens
  • Handful of Parsley, minced
  • Handful of Cilantro, minced
  • Avocado
Chickpea Scramble
  1. To start, mince garlic and dice onion. Heat a pan over medium heat with a drizzle of olive oil. First, sauté the onions until they are soft. Then add the garlic and continue sautéing until garlic is just slightly browned.
  2. In a bowl, pour out chickpeas AND a little bit of the water they're in. Mash chickpeas slightly with a fork, leaving some whole. Mix in turmeric, salt, and pepper until evenly combined.
  3. When onions and garlic are done, add in mashed chickpeas and sauté for about five minutes.
Breakfast Bowls
  1. Assemble the breakfast bowls. Add in some mixed greens at the bottom of the bowls, topped with the chickpea scramble. Top with minced cilantro and parsley. Serve with avocado slices.
  2. Enjoy!
Notes
This bowl would also be delicious topped with coconut bacon!

Chickpea Scramble Breakfast Bowl | Well and Full | #vegan #recipe

Quote of the Day:

Your time is limited, so don’t waste it living someone else’s life.

– Steve Jobs

spread the word!Pin on PinterestShare on Google+Share on StumbleUponShare on YummlyShare on RedditPrint this pageTweet about this on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on FacebookEmail this to someone

Katrina
    March 8, 2016 at 1:42 pm

Loving the simplicity of this! Really, it’s great any time of day! Yum!

March 8, 2016 at 4:12 pm

Thanks Katrina!! 😀

dixya | food, pleasure, and health
    March 8, 2016 at 2:05 pm

i havent lived with my parents for more than 10 years…but at the same time, i think now that i am an adult, i definitely will be more tolerant and compromising (so unlike my younger years)…hopefully you will keep us posted with your adventure.

i have heard so much about chickpea liquid to use as a base..but havent used it yet in my cooking/baking.

March 8, 2016 at 4:12 pm

I think I’ve gained some wisdom as I’ve gotten older, I hope! 🙂 And you’ve got to try aquafaba, it’s amazing!! There’s a whole website dedicated to all of the uses: aquafaba.com.

Emilie @ Emilie Eats
    March 8, 2016 at 3:56 pm

My mom loves when I visit home so I can cook everything. 🙂
    This recipe looks SO good. I never thought go scrambling the chickpeas with the aquafaba! I’ve of course eaten tofu scrambles and used chickpea flour to make pancakes, but this is genius. I’ve been such a fan of savory breakfasts lately!

March 8, 2016 at 4:13 pm

I bet she does!! I would love it if you cooked for me too haha!! 😉 And thanks girl!

Rebecca @ Strength and Sunshine
    March 8, 2016 at 4:21 pm

Haha yes! My family LOVES when I cook! The only one culinarily inclined 😉 And always introducing them to new things!

March 8, 2016 at 6:35 pm

You’re lucky your family is open to new things!! My family isn’t really like that, but I’m hoping I can turn them around 😉

Bethany @ athletic avocado
    March 8, 2016 at 5:24 pm

Who knew chickpeas could replace eggs for breakfast? This breakfast bowl is AWESOME! And its also awesome that you are pursuing your degree in nutrition! You ROCK!

March 8, 2016 at 6:36 pm

Aww thank you so much for your support Bethany!! 😀

Maya | Spice + Sprout
    March 8, 2016 at 6:36 pm

Mmm! This looks so yummy. I actually haven’t heard of scrambled chickpeas (whatttt) so this is super exciting! I totally feel you on the moving home thing. Right now I’m living in a different city for university, but once I am done I want to pursue another direction which will include more school, and will probably mean I move home again. There are good and not so good parts to this, but I’ll take every opportunity I get to spend time with my parents and stay close to my family <3

March 8, 2016 at 6:56 pm

You’re absolutely right, there are good and not so good parts, but we can make it work!! 🙂

Veronika
    March 9, 2016 at 6:38 am

I’ll be 22 this year and I still haven’t moved out of my mom’s house. I don!t think there’s a certain age where you have to move out, I think it’s more about when you feel comfortable about living on your own. I don’t wanna just move out into a different place in the same city. What I’d love to do though is move to either the UK or the US. I’m all about the extremes haha go big or go home. And this looks absolutely delicious, I definitely need to try it! 🙂

March 9, 2016 at 10:59 am

I think I just feel funny about it because I have been living on my own, and will miss the freedoms I’ve had doing so 🙁 But I’m trying to keep an open mind! 🙂

sassygirl711
    March 9, 2016 at 1:03 pm

it’s a strange thing…a guy living with his parents is not someone I think of as
    totally independent or motivated. a female…maybe a bit more acceptable,
    but it varies…among cultures, different parts of the country, financial reasons.
    I am happy to live my life on my own, no matter what. I need the space!
    the recipe is great. love chickpeas.
    thanks for sharing. 🙂

March 9, 2016 at 2:01 pm

Thank you! 🙂

Lane | Green Spirit Adventures
    March 10, 2016 at 12:57 pm

At twenty one I still haven’t moved out–thankfully I have a great relationship with my mom and younger brother and I never feel like I’m lazy or a burden living here. I think it’s really great that you have that extra support from your parents while you go to school (and congrats! nutrition school sounds like it will be such an incredible experience!). I also think it’s so wonderful that you’re cooking for your mom! I love cooking for my family so much… when they let me, haha! It’s especially nice to cook for my mom because like you said–she’s already done so much!!

I’ve been craving chickpea scramble for weeks and for some reason haven’t gotten around to making it but you’ve totally motivated me with this recipe!! 🙂

March 10, 2016 at 1:47 pm

That’s cool that you still live at home too!! Believe it or not it makes me feel better to hear that others my age are doing so as well! 🙂

Leslie
    April 24, 2016 at 7:57 pm

Sarah I love your site and want to try everything on it. You can come here and cook for me anytime! You’ve made a great choice to follow your passion – it will take you far. I’ll be the first one in line to buy your cookbook. xoxo

April 25, 2016 at 10:55 am

Aww thank you Leslie!! I’m so glad you stopped by my site! 😀 It was great seeing you this weekend too. <3

Friday Favorites: May | Neat & Nutritious
    May 27, 2016 at 10:02 am

[…] Chickpea Scramble Breakfast Bowl by Well and Full // Savory breakfasts on slow week day mornings are one of my favorite things right now. […]

Calluna
    June 5, 2016 at 8:04 am

This bowl is a great reason to wake up in the morning!
    I’ve added a chopped tomato and a hanful of spinach on the pan instead of onion, and some curry powder in the chickpeas because I’m obsessed with it 🙂
    It turned out perfectly! I love recipes which leave so much space for my vegetable fantasy. Thank you! You’re as awesome as your blog is.

June 5, 2016 at 9:28 am

Aww thank you Calluna!! You are so sweet! 😀 I’m so glad you liked the recipe and experimented around with it – that is 100% the vibe I’m trying to go for with my recipes. I’m all about creativity in the kitchen! 😉 PS – you’re awesome too!! 😀

Fritzann
    June 21, 2016 at 9:27 am

Thank you so much for your recipe. I am going to teybaomething similar to it this morning. Growing up I was not allergic to any food with the exception of milk. Chicken turkey, duck, goose, and eggs from all was a main source of my diet. I had not eaten pork until I was 25 and 6 months pregnant. Now I am allergic to anything that grows a feather and that which comes from it too.

I miss migas. (Gonna make this morning to see if family notice difference. (Saute onions, jalapeño, garlic, and corn tortilla strips.add scrambled egfs-this case chickpea stuff- serve with sour cream and salsa)

June 21, 2016 at 12:04 pm

Thanks for writing, Fritzann! I really hope you like this recipe… and I think it’s a brilliant idea to use a chickpea scramble instead of eggs in migas! 🙂

60 Vegan Summer Recipes for Barbecue, Grilling, Potlucks - Vegan Richa
    July 4, 2016 at 4:04 pm

[…] Chickpea Scramble Breakfast Bowl – Well And Full […]

Yuri Elkaim - 17 High Protein Vegan Breakfasts That Are Easy to Make
    October 21, 2016 at 10:01 pm

[…] Find the recipe here: Well and Full […]

Megan
    December 23, 2016 at 10:16 am

I made this bowl this morning and it was wonderful! While I’m not vegan, I detest eggs – which means breakfast is kind of a nightmare for me. There’s only so many bowls of oatmeal a girl can eat! But, scrambled chickpeas? That’s something I can get behind.

I added a tablespoon of nutritional yeast and a handful of sauteed veggies – I imagine this can been adapted a million ways with whatever’s lingering in the produce drawer.

Thanks for this one Sarah!

December 27, 2016 at 9:02 am

Ooooh your additions sound amazing! I need to try adding some nutritional yeast to my chickpea scrambles. I’m so glad you liked it, Megan!! Sending hugs!! <3

Oz Shane M
    December 28, 2016 at 7:18 pm

Was looking for a change in my Aussie style brekky’s, bloody awesome! Thank you……….

December 28, 2016 at 7:40 pm

Hope you liked it, Shane!! 😀

Stina
    February 2, 2017 at 10:24 pm

This simple recipe was delicious and quick. Had it with a baked sweet potato on the side and added some brown rice to the mix. Thanks for sharing.

February 2, 2017 at 10:51 pm