It’s March 6th, two days after season four of House of Cards premiered on Netflix, and I’m halfway through the season already. I love/hate the fact that they release the entire season at once – love, because there’s no waiting for the next episode; hate, because it means a frantic binge-watch until all of the episodes have been seen. And the thing is, I’m not a huge TV-watcher… I don’t even have a TV in my apartment (seriously). But House of Cards is just so riveting! I think it’s because it’s so believable… pretty much no one is a fan of the US Government nowadays, and it’s easy to believe that they’re all scheming, manipulative politicians as portrayed on HOC. Power plays, backhanded deals, lies, schemes… it’s kind of scary that this is reality. But enough about politics… let’s talk about SPRING!
The weather is getting incrementally warmer here in CT, and I’m sooo ready for the farm stands to open again. My body has been craving fresh fruits and veggies like crazy, and I’ve been starting to see smatterings of local produce in Whole Foods again. But what I’m really looking forward to are the open-air farmers markets, bursting with fresh produce and heaps and heaps of succulent greens. I just love fresh greens. In fact, at the farm stand in my hometown, their kale and lettuce garden is right in the backyard, and when you ask for a head of kale they go out and cut one for you, straight from the ground! Talk about fresh, living food! AHH all this talk of spring has me so excited!! But tell me, what are YOUR favorite things about spring?
This creamy green spinach soup is a perfect segway between chilly spring nights and warm sunny days. Fresh but still warming, it’s a perfectly balanced dish for this time of year. I hope you all love it!
- 4 Cloves Garlic, finely minced
- 1 Sweet Onion, diced
- Generous drizzle of Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- ¼ Tsp Caraway Seeds
- 2 Cup Vegetable Stock
- Juice from ½ Lemon
- 1 Tsp Dried Parsley
- 1 Tsp Basil
- ⅛ Tsp Coriander
- ¼ Tsp Turmeric
- 4 Cups Spinach
- A sprig of herbs (I used dill)
- Bring a large soup pan to medium-low heat. Add in caraway seeds, onions, and garlic, and sauté until onions are translucent, about 10 minutes.
- Pour in veggie stock and spices, and let simmer for about 10 minutes.
- Carefully pour the hot soup into the blender. Add in 4 cups spinach, and blend on high until soup is smooth and creamy.
- Pour soup into two bowls, and garnish with a drizzle of tahini and a sprig of any fresh herbs you have on hand.
Quote of the Day:
In the spring, at the end of the day, you should smell like dirt.
– Margaret Atwood, Bluebeard’s Egg