mains + sides/ raw/ recipes

Raw Carrot Falafel

Raw Carrot Falafel | Well and Full | #raw #vegan #recipe

Tuesday, March 1st, 2016. A terribly frightening day for American politics. I don’t want to go into specifics (my momma always said don’t talk politics at the dinner table) – but I think you all know what I mean. The state of our political atmosphere here in America truly is frightening. On one side, we have a candidate who is constantly spitting out racist, sexist, misogynistic, and just plain rude rhetoric, with all the other candidates falling to the wayside; on the other side, we have two career politicians, one of whom has big corporations in her back pocket, and the other who may not be mainstream enough to win. What is going on, America!! Is this the best we have?

Apparently “How To Move To Canada” started trending on Google after Super Tuesday, and even my patriotic heart has half a mind to move up to CA with my friends Gen and Emily and Sophie, the way things are going, eh? (Sorry, couldn’t resist!!!) I know this is about the future of our country and all, but I really just hate politics right now. I’ve been watching the debates (in an effort to keep myself informed) and it just seems like a yelling match. People are just getting nasty. Apparently some of the Republican candidates were bashing each other on how they were acting backstage in the debates – even comparing who was sweating more. First of all, ew. Second of all, COME ON!! THERE ARE SO MANY SERIOUS ISSUES FACING OUR WORLD AND THAT IS WHAT YOU’RE CHOOSING TO TALK ABOUT?? ASFKHAEIVNIWFEFOJAEWL.

Ahemm. *End Rant* I know this sounds so cliché, but I can’t help but think of what a better world we would have if we focused on our similarities and not our differences. In the Bible, we are taught that the second commandment – the highest commandment after loving the Lord – is to love thy neighbor as thyself. This is the second most important rule in the whole Bible. It seems like some of these self-purported Christian candidates have forgotten this. And even if you’re not Christian, it’s still the golden rule – treat others as you would yourself. It’s universal. And if you take this rule, the issues become a lot easier.

We may not be able to count on our politicians to live by this rule, but we the people can still abide by it. And that, honestly, is what gives me hope for America. Not the politicians; but the people.

[one-half-first]Raw Carrot Falafel | Well and Full | #raw #vegan #recipe[/one-half-first]
[one-half]Raw Carrot Falafel | Well and Full | #raw #vegan #recipe[/one-half]Raw Carrot Falafel | Well and Full | #raw #vegan #recipeRaw Carrot Falafel | Well and Full | #raw #vegan #recipe

Raw Carrot Falafel | Well and Full | #raw #vegan #recipe
5 from 1 vote

Raw Carrot Falafel

These raw carrot falafel are easy to make, healthy, and above all - delicious!
Prep Time 10 minutes

• 1 Tsp Paprika
  • 1 Tsp Chili Powder
  • 1/2 Tsp Cumin
  • 1/2 Tsp Turmeric
  • Sesame Seeds for Coating optional
  • Tahini for serving recommended

1. Measure out two heaping cups chopped carrots. In a food processor, process carrots until a fine meal is formed.
  2. Add in garlic and spices, and pulse in food processor until everything is evenly mixed.
  3. In a bowl, combine carrot meal and chickpea flour, and mix until evenly combined.
  4. Either by hand or using an ice cream scoop, form little balls from the falafel mix. Flatten into little disks with the palm of your hand. If desired, coat falafel in a layer of white sesame seeds. This adds a nice crunch!
  5. On a baking sheet lined with parchment paper, dehydrate the falafel at your oven's lowest temperature for two hours, or until desired texture is reached.
  6. Serve falafel on a bed of greens or in pitas, with tahini.
  7. Enjoy!

Raw Carrot Falafel | Well and Full | #raw #vegan #recipe

Quote of the Day:

And Jesus answered him, The first of all the commandments is, Hear, O Israel; The Lord our God is one Lord: And thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind, and with all thy strength: this is the first commandment. And the second is like, namely this, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. There is none other commandment greater than these.

– Mark 12:29-31

Rebecca @ Strength and Sunshine
    March 3, 2016 at 8:28 pm

These looks like some perfect falafel! I love anything crusted with sesame seeds! So pretty too!

March 3, 2016 at 8:59 pm

Thanks Rebecca!! :D

Jennifer @ Delicious Everyday
    March 3, 2016 at 8:50 pm

While I’m not totally up to date on American politics I can tell you it is much worse here in Australia. We’ve ousted so many Prime Ministers mid term because they are so disliked its hard to keep up with whose in office. Its now become a joke, especially now that our current PM isn’t faring much better and there have been rumblings he might be pushed out too!

Onto more wonderful matters, your felafel look incredible!! I love that they include chickpea flour too. Such a staple in my kitchen :)

March 3, 2016 at 9:01 pm

That’s sounds awful! But it may be better that you can oust your PMs mid term… here in America we’re stuck with our presidents for the whole four years! :(

Cailee
    March 3, 2016 at 10:16 pm

Oh my gosh, this looks amazing! I love that you made it raw! I just adore falafel. And oh my gosh! I can’t believe “How to move to Canada” was trending on Google! That’s so crazy! :/ I’m actually watching the debate right now… On a lighter note, I hope that you have a great weekend!

March 4, 2016 at 9:21 am

Thanks Cailee! I hope you have a lovely weekend as well :)

Kaylee
    March 4, 2016 at 9:13 am

Amen to all your thoughts on US politics! I was (trying to) watch the debate last night but there’s no point when the candidates are bickering and shouting most of the time. I love what you said about the hypocrisy in the self-proclaimed Christians. I guess they all want to be treated poorly…?

Thankfully these falafel(s?) are one thing raw & good in the world right now. Definitely bookmarking this recipe!

March 4, 2016 at 9:22 am

I couldn’t even watch the debate last night. Props to you for trying!! And thanks girl!! :D

Kaylee
        March 8, 2016 at 11:06 pm

BTW, I this recipe for dinner tonight! Served it with plain yogurt dusted with cayenne pepper and roasted Japanese sweet potato. I didn’t have all the spices but I made do. It turned out DELICIOUS for my first attempt nonetheless!

March 9, 2016 at 10:55 am

That’s awesome!! I’m so glad you liked it!! :D

Kaylee
        March 8, 2016 at 11:22 pm

Oops, I meant I tried this recipe!

Ashley | Blissful Basil
    March 4, 2016 at 10:23 am

Sarah, I second your thoughts on the current political climate — it’s a hot mess! And the mud slinging, sparring, etc. that goes on during the debates is exhausting. How easily we forget that there is more that links us together than divides us. If only all that negative energy spent arguing and toe-stepping was invested in a positive collaborative effort, the world might be a different place. Idealistic dreams :)

On another note, these falafel! My goodness. They look amazing, and I can’t believe they’re raw. I love that sesame seed crust too — so enticing and beautiful!

March 4, 2016 at 10:26 am

I couldn’t agree more with you Ashley. I love what you said – that there is more that links us together than divides us. Unfortunately, it seems that most politicians in this country have forgotten that :(

Abby @ The Frosted Vegan
    March 4, 2016 at 10:39 am

I second all of your thoughts, it’s kind of scary, right? Oh goodness. I have faith that we won’t elect someone that is absurd (I hope!), I never would have thought to make falafel from carrots, but this is brilliant! xoxo

March 4, 2016 at 10:51 am

Thanks Abby <3

Aimee / Wallflower Girl's Kitchen
    March 4, 2016 at 10:40 am

Well you are just spoiling us with recipes lately! I can’t believe these are actually raw, I’m gonna pass these onto a friend who is experimenting with a raw diet!

And I’ve been keeping up with American politics too. It’s always depressing when you see a candidate who you know could do so much good, overshadowed by someone Anne Frank’s sister said was “worse than Hitler. There is a similar issue in the UK and after the last elections, everyone was googline “how to move to Scotland” (our Canadian equivalent)

March 4, 2016 at 10:53 am

It looks like people in the UK have similar sentiments to us here in the US! It’s sad that politics have gotten so screwed up across the world :(

Donice Gilliland
    March 4, 2016 at 12:35 pm

I love that such a wonderful, agreeable, and supportive community exists which shares equal concern over the awful state of our politics, AND appreciates the healthy wholesomeness and beauty and goodness of these fabulous recipes! Thank you so much! I can’t wait to try these carrot falafels!

March 4, 2016 at 1:57 pm

You’re welcome Donice, and thank YOU so much for leaving a note! :) Hearing from my readers makes my day :D

Elissa Fuchs
    March 4, 2016 at 2:54 pm

Looking forward to trying another great recipe. I love the quote of the day. I’m the grand-daughter of legal immigrants who fled the pogroms of Eastern Europe (run by socialism and Germany’s National Socialist Democrat Party-Nazis). America was founded on Judeo-Christian values- we fought a revolution and wrote a Constitution, Bill of Rights,& Declaration of Independence that created the greatest ,freedom loving nation the world has ever known. We advanced the whole worlds quality of life. Food is politics. We are the bread basket of the world. Zimbabwe was the breadbasket of the world and like Russia (when Lenin & Marx’s socialism took over) millions were murdered for the cause of the collective. Today the Islamic-Jihadist have murdered, & stoned to death Christians, LGBT throughout the middle east and kidnap and rape little girls. We must speak out against Sharia law. Today we have a choice: an old avowed socialist who never had a job until he became Mayor of Vermont, or an old female lawyer who promised New York 200,000 jobs in the 1990’s (million of jobs and people have fled NY) who lied and covered up her husbands sex acts with girls/women by blaming his victims, and worse–as SOS she is responsible (along with Obama) for the death of Ambassador Stevens and 4 hero’s. She should be arrested for using a private server for classified info. as SOS. We have a brilliant Magna Cum Laude Princeton/Harvard grad with a record of standing up for the people who elected him: Senator Ted Cruz. Please view his accomplishments. From winning 9 cases before the supreme court on issues from 2nd amendment, religious liberty and national sovereignty. He fought and won against Bush and the International Court in the Medillian V Texas case. Our greatest ally in the middle-East has no better friend than Senator Cruz. Trump is a crass, con-man. Obama/Hillary made a deal with the Iranian Islamic Jihad regime that gives them nukes and cash to carry out terrorism. We have over 90 million on food stamps and other tax-payer funded programs that keeps them in poverty. Obama’s war in Afghanistan continues and only someone with the Constitutional understanding and love like Senator Cruz can right our ship. IMHO. BTW- Detroit was known as “The Paris of the West.” Decades of democrat run cities like Detroit bankrupt them into 3rd world status.

March 4, 2016 at 7:01 pm

Thank you so much for leaving a note, Elissa. Having open and respectful political discourse is really important tot me. I think Cruz is an upstanding man as well, and I’m disappointed (and a little bit scared) that his and so many others’ messages have been washed out by Trump, especially in the Super Tuesday results. It’s astounding to me that someone so crass and rude has risen so far in American politics. That’s not what we stand for. Like you said, our country was founded on a set of values and Donald Trump does not embody those values at all. But it’s citizens who speak out, like you, who give me hope for America :) Thanks again for leaving a note, hearing from you makes my day!

Nina
    March 5, 2016 at 5:58 pm

Hi, Sarah, what a beautiful dish! And I’m also understanding your concern over the political situation in your country, We are following the circus from here. European media doesn’t paint a pretty picture of Trump! And it looks like he has a good chance of actually becoming president. That it got this far is frightening, Let’s hope for a good outcome . X nina

March 5, 2016 at 11:03 pm

Thank you Nina! And yes it is quite frightening over here, I’m hoping for a better outcome than how it’s looking to be :/

Kimberly/TheLittlePlantation
    March 6, 2016 at 9:24 am

Thanks for sharing this gorgeous recipe.
    Much as I TOTALLY dislike Trump, I do think it’s interesting that he has an audience, people who totally sympathise with what he says. Perhaps it’s about unpicking that and getting to the bottom of why people would WANT a wall between the US and Mexico. I am guessing that fear and ignorance have a major role to play. They are really powerful emotions and we need to do so much more to crush them in our society today.
    Thanks again for stimulating debate
    All the best

March 6, 2016 at 1:24 pm

It is crazy that he has an audience here in America… it worries me. But I think having an open discourse about why this has happened is the only way we can move forward. Thanks for participating Kimberly :)

Laura
    March 7, 2016 at 10:55 am

How about you just move up here to Canada to the east coast with me, and forget about all your American politics worries. Our recipe creations together would be out of this world!

March 7, 2016 at 2:06 pm

Sounds like a plan!! ;)

fresh delights
    March 7, 2016 at 1:29 pm

yummy! I will definitely try this one soon, looks so great!

March 7, 2016 at 2:05 pm

Thank you!! :D

Sophie | The Green Life
    March 7, 2016 at 7:41 pm

I heard about that “How to move to Canada” trend the next morning and couldn’t believe it either…isn’t that crazy?! I’d be happy to welcome you in our beautiful country and teach you a bit of French if you like! But be warned, the winters are pretty darn cold over here ;) Jokes aside, this situation is alarming and quite honestly, I can’t even comprehend why people would want to give their vote to someone like Trump. That is just beyond me. But there’s still quite some time before the election so I do hope that people will come to their senses and that the outcome will be positive in the end. Supporting you all the way. xo

March 8, 2016 at 8:12 am

Ahhh I would love to go to Canada and perfect my French with you! I studied abroad in France when I was in college, but I’m far from fluent. Actually sometimes I read your blog in French to keep in practice!! :D

Nikki
    March 8, 2016 at 5:02 am

Can I use whole chickpeas instead of chickpea flour?

March 8, 2016 at 8:08 am

Hmm… I haven’t tried that so I can’t absolutely say what will happen, but that sounds like it would work! Just process them in the food processor once the carrots are broken up! :D

Nikki