cleanse/ mains + sides/ recipes/ yoga vibes

Red Lentil Kitchari | An Ayurvedic Cleanse

Red Lentil Kitchari | An Ayurvedic Cleanse | Well and Full | #vegan #ayurveda

Today really feels like spring. It’s 60 degrees outside, sunny, and just a little bit windy. I found myself driving to the market with the windows rolled all the way down, singing to the radio at the top of my lungs. There’s something about a day like today that makes me think of fresh starts and new beginnings. I also especially feel this way because I’m moving back home with my family for the first time in three years, and I feel like I have a second chance to really appreciate what makes my childhood house a home.

When I was younger, I didn’t really appreciate my house in a small town. I thought it was so much more exciting to live in the city; to have places to go to all the time and tons of restaurants and shops around. And don’t get me wrong, all of that is fun, and it’s the ideal situation for a lot of people. But for me, I really have missed being amidst the Great Outdoors. Having swimming holes and hiking spots and farm stands just minutes away. Having and owning earth in which to garden and let all of the greenery flourish. I’d trade that for the city any day.

In the spirit of new beginnings, I thought I’d share this recipe for kitchari – which can also be spelled khichdi or kichadi – a traditional Ayurvedic cleansing food. When anyone mentions a “cleanse”, most people think of juice fasts or detoxing. In Ayurvedic tradition, however, the combination of “rice and beans” (or in this case, rice and lentils) is the ideal cleansing food because it is so easy to digest, while still providing the body with complete proteins. Made with healing Ayurvedic spices like turmeric and cumin, kitchari is flavorful and delicious while still being part of a cleanse. But the most important aspect of this type of cleanse is eating mindfully and with intention – preparing the food with love, and listening to your body to know when you’re full.

Red Lentil Kitchari | An Ayurvedic Cleanse | Well and Full | #vegan #ayurvedaRed Lentil Kitchari | An Ayurvedic Cleanse | Well and Full | #vegan #ayurveda

Red Lentil Kitchari | An Ayurvedic Cleanse | Well and Full | #vegan #ayurveda
5 from 1 vote

Red Lentil Kitchari | An Ayurvedic Cleanse

As part of the traditional Ayurvedic cleanse, red lentil kitchari is flavorful and delicious while providing the body with complete protein.
Prep Time 10 minutes

• 1/2 Tsp Paprika
  • 1/4 Tsp Turmeric
  • 1/8 Tsp Cumin
  • 1/8 Tsp Coriander
  • 2 Cups Cooked Brown Rice to serve
  • Cilantro for garnish

1. Bring lentils and vegetable stock to a boil, then simmer for about 10 minutes. Do not stir, this mashes the lentils! When done, remove from heat.
  2. While lentils are cooking, sauté the sweet onion and garlic in a little olive oil on medium-low heat until onions are translucent.
  3. In a small bowl, mix together spices.
  4. When everything is done, mix onions and garlic and spices into the pot of lentils.
  5. Serve the kitchari over brown rice or any other grains you have on hand, like quinoa or millet. The kitchari can always be eaten on its own with bread!
  6. Enjoy, and eat with intention.

Red Lentil Kitchari | An Ayurvedic Cleanse | Well and Full | #vegan #ayurveda

dixya | food, pleasure, and health
    March 31, 2016 at 1:59 pm

i make khichdi with plain rice and varieties of lentils very frequently..and it is probably my favorite food. it tastes even better after vacation/travel/holidays because it is very easy for us to digest and it is so nourishing!

im so glad you will be able to enjoy home and all the things you didnt appreciate before,

March 31, 2016 at 4:38 pm

That’s awesome! It’s like a break for the digestive system, but it tastes so yummy! :)

Pure Ella
    March 31, 2016 at 4:19 pm

Wow This looks amazing! I am not familiar with the middle eastern dishes BUT this looks like my kind of food!! :)
    xoxo ella

March 31, 2016 at 4:39 pm

Thanks Ella! :D

Amy | The Whole Food Rainbow
    March 31, 2016 at 7:41 pm

Hey Sarah! Such a lovely post, so evocative, and I love what you said about the ayurvidic way, being mindful and listening to your body, and also for cleansing food not just being fruit and veg. Spring is truly in the air with the changes it brings, and as of today Lemon and Coconut is now The Whole Food Rainbow, a name that says it all for me. Not much else has changed except for a sexy revamp, let me know what you think if you get a chance! xx

April 1, 2016 at 10:04 am

I LOVE the rebranding, Amy! I’m going to go check out your new site now!! :D

Amy | The Whole Food Rainbow
        April 1, 2016 at 2:44 pm

Thanks so much Sarah. I’m neck deep in tech issues now, but there is light at the end of the tunnel!! xx

April 1, 2016 at 4:36 pm

You got this, girl!! I believe in you!! :D

Katya
    April 1, 2016 at 10:25 am

Dear Sarah,
    this bowl looks absolutely amazing and the purity and simplicity of the dish really spek to me.
    I’m not a great fan of the term ‘cleanse’ because it assumes that I’ve been eating filthy foods ;) and I know I haven’t (long time vegan clean-eater here). I do like the idea, though, to make your food as simple as possible while still getting all the nutrients. THis is something I aspire to: try to make things full of meaning, food full of nutrients without wasting time/energy on things that don’t matter or don’t bring much into my life.
    All the best to you! :)

April 1, 2016 at 4:35 pm

Hi Katya! I certainly don’t mean to imply you’ve been eating dirty foods!! ;) But I’m really glad that you like this recipe, and I think you really got the message behind it – it’s all about eating intentionally and purposefully. :D I hope you have a lovely day!!

Lane | Green Spirit Adventures
    April 4, 2016 at 12:48 pm

I love kitchari and I cannot wait to try this version, it looks incredible!

April 4, 2016 at 2:25 pm

Thanks Lane!! :D

Ebony
    April 30, 2016 at 2:19 am

Hi, I was wondering if you ever provide nutritional information for your recipes? Thank you. It looks delicious by the way.