mains + sides/ raw/ recipes

Raw Pad Thai w/ Kelp Noodles

Raw Pad Thai w/ Kelp Noodles | Well and Full | #raw #vegan #recipe

The other day I came across this really great article from the Wanderlust Blog, about finding your truth with food using Satya, a yogic yama (or moral precept) that roughly translates to “non-falsehood” (but more on that later). At first when I read the title of the article, I thought, “What could this be all about? Finding truth with food?” Luckily, I decided to keep an open mind and went on to read the article. Originally, based on the title of the article, I thought the post would be about finding spiritual revelation or higher understanding through food. Which could be a bit of a stretch. But instead, the article focused on finding YOUR truth ABOUT food – finding what works for you and what doesn’t.

In a world of infinite diets – vegan, vegetarian, paleo, whole 30, keto, gluten-free, etc – it can be really hard to make sense of what’s really right for you. I don’t need to belabor this point; I’m sure all of us at some point have had questions about our diets before. And just to be clear, I’m not talking about people who are on a specific diet because of intolerances or medial reasons (i.e. Lactose Intolerance, Celiac Disease, etc.). I’m talking about those of us who are struggling to navigate the endless barrage of information about nutrition that we’re bombarded with every day. And that’s where Satya comes in.

Satya is one of the five yogic yamas, which are ethical guidelines within Hinduism. There are many ways to define them, but in my Yoga Teacher Training, we learned them to be: Ahimsa (non-violence), Satya (non-falsehood), Asteya (non-stealing), Brahmacharya (non-excess), and Aparigraha (non-coveting). I prefer the definitions with the prefix “non” in front of them, because it encompasses a broader definition than just, say, “truthfulness” or “self-control”. For example, let’s look at Satya. If it meant just being truthful, that would be very easy to understand. You can tell someone a truthful story easily, right? But the definition of “non-falsehood” implies the absence of any falsehood itself. You can tell this story truthfully, but are you leaving out someone else’s perspective that could change the story’s meaning? It’s a very fine distinction, but something can be true yet still false at the same time. It usually happens when we leave out bits of truth that can change the overall picture entirely. And that’s why Satya means “non-falsehood”, instead of just truth. I really like this definition of it – “In Yoga, Satya is one of five yamas, the virtuous restraint from falsehood and distortion of reality in one’s expressions and actions.”

So how does this translate to food? Speaking from my own experience, I know I sometimes lie to myself or distort reality when it comes to my food choices. “Oh, if I eat this, I won’t get a stomach ache.”, or “I’ll feel fine if I have these potato chips.” It’s so easy to let short-term cravings overrule my long-term health.

In the Wanderlust article, the author writes: “Much like you know when you’re going too far in a backbend, you probably know when you’re choosing a food that isn’t a match for your body. You can develop these skills with practice. After eating, notice if you feel more or less energized. Ideally a food gives you energy. If it’s not a fit for your needs, it drains energy.” THIS is Satya. It means finding the foods that work for YOU, and not anybody else. It means being honest with yourself if a certain food isn’t working for your body, or is draining you of energy. And the most important takeaway of this whole article is the concept of individual truth. What works for my body may not work for yours, and vice versa. In fact, Laura of The First Mess recently wrote about this too – “…It seems like everyone disagrees over what food/behaviour is truly “healthy.” I tend to favour nourishment as a guiding light these days because it implies a certain individuality. It’s a concept that goes deeper than physical wellness. Nourishment is about feeding your life beyond the fuel that gets you to the next thing. Spaces, people, time, and practices all have nourishing qualities that are necessary in order to thrive.” I couldn’t have said it better myself.

If you take anything away from this post, it’s that finding YOUR truth when it comes to food is all that matters. Do what’s right for you, regardless of what other people think or say. :)

Raw Pad Thai w/ Kelp Noodles | Well and Full | #raw #vegan #recipeRaw Pad Thai w/ Kelp Noodles | Well and Full | #raw #vegan #recipeRaw Pad Thai w/ Kelp Noodles | Well and Full | #raw #vegan #recipe

Raw Pad Thai w/ Kelp Noodles

Prep time
Total time

This raw pad thai is made with kelp noodles, a deliciously low-calorie and low-carb alternative to pasta!
Serves: 2
Kelp Noodles
Sauce
  • 2 Tbsp Peanut Butter
  • ¼ Cup Tamari or Soy Sauce
  • 3 Cloves Garlic, minced
  • 1 Tsp Fresh Ginger, grated
  • Juice from 1 Lime
  • ¼ Tsp Sriracha
  • ¼ Tsp Black Pepper
  • 1 Tbs Toasted Sesame Oil
  • 2 Tbs Water
Everything Else
  • 2 Tsp Red Pepper Flakes (optional)
  • ½ Cup Fresh Cilantro, chopped
  • ¼ Cup Fresh Basil, chopped
  1. Start by making the sauce. Combine all ingredients into a blender and blend until the sauce is smooth and creamy.
  2. Take Kelp noodles out of package and rinse quickly. Dry them off with paper towels, then use your knife to cut them into smaller pieces.
  3. Chop basil and cilantro.
  4. Toss Kelp noodles with sauce, basil, and cilantro. Add in red pepper flakes if desired.
  5. Serve and enjoy!
Notes
If you don't like kelp noodles, feel free to replace them with brown rice noodles or any pasta of your choice! Just note that the recipe will no longer be raw.

Raw Pad Thai w/ Kelp Noodles | Well and Full | #raw #vegan #recipe

Song of the Day:

Sun Light – MC Yogi

Aimee / Wallflower Kitchen
    April 13, 2016 at 12:02 pm

Thank you for reminding me how much I LOVE kelp noodles! The first time I tried them I fell in love with their crazy texture and the way they pick up flavours so well. Haven’t had them in a while though – need to get some! This sounds absolutely wonderful <3

April 13, 2016 at 2:01 pm

Thanks Aimee!! :D

Fernando @ Eating With Your Hands
    April 13, 2016 at 2:24 pm

I think Wanderlust brings up a good point here, and it doesn’t adhere to food only. It’s about navigating through all the endless streams of information that comes from all angles nowadays. Hard to steer everything in the tight (or one) direction… I feel this has never been more important, cause if you get drawn in each direction the next new thing becomes pop, you end up doing anything, really. Great post :)

April 13, 2016 at 6:22 pm

Thank you Fernando! And you’re absolutely right, Satya doesn’t just apply to food. It’s all about finding our own personal truth in every aspect of our lives :)

Rebecca @ Strength and Sunshine
    April 13, 2016 at 2:33 pm

Truth in everyday! It is about finding our own individual needs that bring health and happiness, nothing else matters.
    Ugh! I have to try kelp noodles again…I never got it right and they tasted like plastic…it might just not be the texture for me! Haha!

April 13, 2016 at 6:22 pm

Absolutely <3 And yeah, kelp noodles do have a texture that needs some getting used to ;)

valentina | sweet kabocha
    April 13, 2016 at 2:45 pm

It’s incredible, I had a discussion about with my boyfriend yesterday evening about nutrition and what’s better for me – we follow a mostly vegan diet and I start to believe that it’s not really the best option for me. I think is not easy at all to understand the effects of a food on the body, for instance coffee or fruit. I really have to develop this skill. Thanks so much for this post Sarah <3
    Btw, wonderful noodles!

April 13, 2016 at 6:24 pm

I couldn’t agree with you more – it’s so hard to pinpoint the exact effect food has on the body, when there are so many outside factors in our environment that influence our well-being. But that’s where personal truth comes in, and you have to do what’s right for you <3

Kathryn @ The Scratch Artist
    April 13, 2016 at 5:04 pm

This idea of Satya is just great. I really appreciated how you explained it and how you defined it. I agree with your broader definition of non-falsehood. I’ve always spoken about this kind of lying as sophistry. A kind of lying where you tell the facts of the story accurately but lead the listener to an inaccurate interpretation. I am very focused on my diet and what foods are right for me and also what food experiences are right for me. This can mean portion size, foods higher in fat, sugar, or whatever…. It is challenging balancing the psychological aspect of eating with the physical one. Thanks for sharing this. I’m going to enjoy learning more about Satya. Delicious looking noodles!

April 13, 2016 at 6:27 pm

This might sound like a weird compliment, but I’m so thrilled that you really got to the heart of what I was saying, because I felt like I was having such a hard time explaining it in a clear way. What you said really sums it up – “A kind of lying where you tell the facts of the story accurately but lead the listener to an inaccurate interpretation.” That’s exactly what I meant! :)

Maya | Spice + Sprout
    April 14, 2016 at 11:02 am

This was such an interesting read, thank you Sarah! I totally get that overwhelmed feeling when considering food and nutrition as well. I think it is super important to listen to your body and think about long term health and happiness, but also sometimes those short term potato chips can be a good lesson not to take everything too seriously, you know? Food can be such an intense thing, and sometimes thinking too much about being healthy can cause an unhealthy imbalance/ obsession that causes more physical and mental strain than allowing yourself that salty snack once in a while! ps. kelp noodles? never even heard of them! love your innovative foods, girl <3

April 14, 2016 at 12:14 pm

Aww thanks Maya! And you’re absolutely right about the “treating yourself” to short term goodies thing. Just for me personally, I really can’t have any sort of chip or else I’ll get a bad stomachache :( But that’s MY truth, you know? But I’m all for treating yourself ;) In whatever way that works for you!

Maya | Spice + Sprout
        April 19, 2016 at 5:41 pm

yeah totally! I feel like it is super awesome when you get to the point of really knowing your own body and how it works/ what it needs :)

Laura
    April 15, 2016 at 9:31 am

I have been wanting to try kelp noodles for a while now. This recipe looks delightful, and I totally agree with you when you talk about distorting your thoughts on how the food may make you feel. Been there done that. Thanks for your great insight and perspective on this.

April 15, 2016 at 11:46 am

Aww thanks Laura. And you should totally try kelp noodles! They’re definitely different than pasta, but they have such a cool texture! :D

Dawn
    April 17, 2016 at 3:45 pm

Freakin’ yuuum! These look amazing! Do you think it’s ok to use almond butter a=instead of Peanut.? Thst’s what I have on hand.

April 17, 2016 at 8:27 pm

Absolutely! Almond butter is delish! :D

Little Vegan Bear
    April 19, 2016 at 9:33 pm

I love kelp noodles! Great post :)

April 20, 2016 at 8:50 am