breakfast + brunch/ recipes

A Really Good Vegan Avocado Toast

A Really Good Vegan Avocado Toast | Well and Full | #vegan #avocado #recipe

If any of you follow Well and Full on Facebook, you’ll notice that I’ve recently been posting about nutrition – namely, how easy it is to get nutritional misinformation. Here is a formatted version of my original post:

TO MY READERS: As I am progressing in my nutrition studies, I am becoming more aware of how easy it is to be exposed to misinformation regarding nutrition, sometimes dangerously so. Followers of specific diets (i.e. Atkins, Paleo, even Vegan) will ignore scientific studies that don’t conform to their specific biases.

When looking for nutritional information, opt for peer-reviewed scientific studies, or articles that link to them. WebMD and Nutrition Stripped are resources I trust. I would not recommend Authority Nutrition (despite their name), because they make such claims as “red meat is one of the most nutritious foods you can eat”.

If any of my readers ever have any questions about nutrition, I would love to help. I can either answer to the best of my ability, or point you to a resource that would better answer your question.

As a health professional, it is important to admit when you don’t know something, or if one of your preconceived biases is wrong. For example, new studies come out all the time that contradict previously established concepts. Regardless, I promise my readers that I will NEVER mislead them or cherry-pick articles that conform to my personal diet.

However, when making changes to your diet or lifestyle, it is crucial to discuss such changes with your doctor first. They will always be your best resource for medical information.

Now, I want to be clear about Authority Nutrition – I don’t think they are necessarily inaccurate or wrong in all of their writing. However, such a broad statement as “red meat is one of the most nutritious foods you can eat” is very misleading. One of the MOST nutritious foods you can eat? Not only is this statement in contradiction with another one of their articles, but it’s entirely subjective. And I also have serious skepticism for anyone who ends a purportedly science-based article with, “Plus it just tastes really good… a life with meat sure as hell beats a life without it.” What?

However, my MAIN problem with this article by Authority Nutrition is that they ignore study after study after study regarding the benefits of a vegetarian diet. For example, here is a great scholarly article written by three Medical Doctors and one Registered Dietitian, summarizing various studies and research done on plant-based diets. They reference forty-six papers and studies in this article. But what about some actual interventional studies? There’s this one, that noted “an 18-week dietary intervention using a low-fat plant-based diet… improves body weight, plasma lipids, and, in individuals with diabetes, glycemic control.” Here’s another one, that concluded “adopting a very-low-fat vegan diet for at least 1 year increased the intake of several dietary constituents that may reduce the risk of many chronic diseases such as cancer, CVD (heart disease), diabetes, and age-related macular degeneration.”

I could go on and on with the studies showing the benefits of a vegetarian diet.

HOWEVER, am I saying that red meat has no nutritional value? NO. It is a source of protein, the B vitamins, and other dietary minerals. But to completely ignore the overwhelming multitude of studies done on the benefits of a vegetarian diet and to promote red meat as one of the “most nutritious foods you can eat” is frankly unethical. Heart disease is the leading cause of death in America. The American Heart Association explicitly says on their website, “Limit saturated fat, trans fat, sodium, red meat, sweets and sugar-sweetened beverages.” At this point, you need to decide – believe an organization whose literal job it is to promote heart health, or to believe an article written by someone who thinks “a life with meat sure as hell beats life without it.”

Authority Nutrition would argue here that too many observational studies have been done regarding the link between red meat and heart disease, and not enough interventional studies. And they’re right, more interventional studies need to be done to unequivocally prove the link between the two. But when study after study shows correlation between red meat and heart disease, is it smart to say, “Well, interventional studies haven’t really proven anything, so let’s just keep eating tons of red meat!!”? I’ll let you decide.

Friends, what I’ve learned so far in my nutrition studies is that virtually nothing is completely and totally agreed upon in the nutritional world. It’s a cluttered landscape out there and it’s hard to navigate. But I promise you that I will never cherry-pick nutritional studies that only conform to my personal diet. While I personally follow a primarily plant-based diet, I know that many of my readers are omnivores. Although I’ve written about the ethical and environmental benefits of a plant-based diet before, my nutritional stance accepts and promotes all types of whole-food diets.

But, as always, when making any sort of dietary change, please refer to your doctor. I am currently a nutrition student and not yet a licensed health professional. If you have any questions about your nutritional needs, your doctor will be your best resource. However, if you have any questions for ME specifically, I will do my best to answer.

A Really Good Vegan Avocado Toast | Well and Full | #vegan #avocado #recipe

5.0 from 2 reviews
A Really Good Vegan Avocado Toast

Prep time
Total time

This is just a really good vegan avocado toast - made with vegan cream cheese and topped with a deliciously simple spice blend.
Serves: 2 Slices
  • 2 Slices Whole Grain or Gluten Free Bread
  • Your Favorite Vegan Cream Cheese
  • 1 Avocado, halved and sliced
  • A Sprinkle of Salt
  • A Sprinkle of Black Pepper
  • A Sprinkle of Chili Powder
  1. Start by toasting your slices of bread.
  2. While they're in the toaster, cut the avocado in half. Carefully using a knife, make slices in the avocado while it's still in the skin. Then, use a spoon to scoop it out.
  3. When the toast is ready, spread a layer of your favorite vegan cream cheese on it (I love chive and onion). Then, layer on the avocado slices. Top with a sprinkling each of salt, pepper, and chili powder.
  4. Enjoy!

A Really Good Vegan Avocado Toast | Well and Full | #vegan #avocado #recipe

Quote of the Day:

Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants.

– Michael Pollan

Lindsay
    February 28, 2017 at 7:24 pm

I love this post! I completely respect everything you said about people ignoring scientific studies when they don’t conform to personal beliefs. As a person constantly striving for balance, I believe any single minded diet has the potential to breed unhealthy habits. Thanks for sharing! Also, I LOVE Michael Pollen and the quote you ended on.

February 28, 2017 at 10:01 pm

Thanks so much for your thoughtful note, Lindsay!! It’s a problem I’ve seen on a lot of so-called “nutrition” websites, especially on Authority Nutrition. It’s dangerous and misleading to the public. :/

Nicole @ Young, Broke and Hungry
    February 28, 2017 at 7:36 pm

Isn’t it crazy how much conflicting information is out there in the health world? Through my Nutritional Therapy studies, I’ve come to learn that there is no singular diet that works best for everyone. You have to focus on what fits your needs best.

Love this avocado toast! One of my favorite breakfast as of late.

February 28, 2017 at 10:03 pm

Amen to that!! Nutrition is not one size fits all. Everyone has different needs based on lifestyle and genetic predisposition!

Natalie | Feasting on Fruit
    March 1, 2017 at 11:34 am

Just as they say the only constant in life is change, it sometimes seems the only agreed upon thing in the realm of nutrition is that there is no consensus. But that keeps it interesting and always an individual experiment too :) Also the cream cheese + avo sounds like multi-textured toast heaven <3

March 1, 2017 at 1:34 pm

I couldn’t agree more. Ever since I wrote this post, I’ve dived headfirst into saturated fat research, and people get so emotional about it! Anti-SFA arguers say that pro-SFA people are bought and paid for by the meat/dairy industry, while the pro-SFA say that anti-SFA people are scientifically bereft, while they themselves ignore important studies. It’s making my head spin!!

Debs
    March 1, 2017 at 2:41 pm

Love this post Sarah! It is an absolute minefield out there for nutrition info. I try to eat things that don’t come in packages and eat them in moderation. And that definitely includes this avo toast!

March 3, 2017 at 9:25 pm

That’s a great philosophy!! Another one I like is “shop on the outsides of a grocery store” … (because all of the processed stuff is in the middle!!) :)

Maya | Spice + Sprout
    March 1, 2017 at 6:24 pm

Yes to all of this! Have you read the book “How Not To Die” by Michael Greger? It’s so good and really just reinforces the idea that eating mostly plants and legumes will keep you healthy and can even reverse a lot of genetic predispositions to disease. It’s amazing! :D

March 3, 2017 at 9:26 pm

I’m actually reading that book right now!! It’s so good!! :D

Maria
    March 2, 2017 at 4:40 pm

YES! So important to look at things from all sides and know the perspective of the information source. And yes, love what previous commenters have said about nutrition not being a one-size-fits-all science! One of the scariest parts about the internet is the voice it gives to non-experts who act like experts. This happens in so many disciplines, but nutrition seems to be one with a plethora of loud and opinionated non-experts. I love your openminded approach that acknowledges science based studies and even that studies will occasionally contradict! I know that a primarily plant based diet works best for me and my body, but I want to respect others for what they feel works best for them.

March 3, 2017 at 9:28 pm

I couldn’t agree with you more – the author of the article who said “red meat is one of the healthiest things you can eat” isn’t even a nutritionist. Yet his website is called “authority nutrition”!! It’s SO important to acknowledge that studies may contradict each other and to not make unequivocal statements (especially when they’re not supported by reputable studies…)

Sarah @ Making Thyme for Health
    March 6, 2017 at 11:25 am

I’m so glad you brought light to this issue, Sarah! There are so many “studies” out there that aren’t peer reviewed and were done with such a narrow focus, yet they get a lot of attention in the mainstream media. It’s so easy to get misleading information these days. You really have to be careful. That said, I love that you are offering a resource for your readers, especially an unbiased one!

March 6, 2017 at 9:07 pm

Thanks for your support, Sarah!! There are so many conflicting studies out there and people who call themselves “authorities” really have to be careful about interpreting them. I’m actually going to write a follow up to this post, because I read through the studies referenced in the Authority Nutrition article, and some of them said the exact OPPOSITE of what they were purported to be in the article. I want to make sure I’m helping my readers watch out for biased information!

Louisa
    March 7, 2017 at 4:03 am

Is there anything better than avocado toast? And yours looks truly divine.
    And I totally agree on the subject of nutrition information. As a dietitian I get sooo frustrated with all the misinformation out there.
    Have a lovely day!

March 7, 2017 at 10:05 am

Thanks for your note, Louisa! :) There is SO much misinformation on the web, but I hope when I’m a nutritionist I can help cut through the clutter!! :)

cakespy
    March 9, 2017 at 6:02 am

This looks…(lol) really good! I love avocado – it just makes me feel so GOOD when I eat it. Looks like simple perfection. Thank you for breaking down some of the nutritional BS for us all, too. It’s so hard to know what to believe.

March 9, 2017 at 1:05 pm

I love avocado too! It’s my body saying thank you for the healthy fats!! :D And I hope to cut through some of the nutrition BS that’s online as much as I can… It helps me AND my readers figure out what’s going on!!