This Vegan Superfood Soup is filled with healthy vegetables and plant-based nutrients to keep your body fueled!
Time has been slipping away from me. I feel as though each day outpaces me before I even have a chance to warm up. I’ll blink and suddenly it’s 5:00. In nursing school I spend about 4-5 hours a day studying or working in a regular week; or 6-8 hours during exam weeks. I take this field so seriously and I’m determined to do well.
Unfortunately, this has meant that I’ve had less time for my blog. It’s easy to create recipes because I still cook for myself and my husband… but sitting down at the computer and typing everything up is what gets me! Still, I have a ton of great recipes to share with you, and I’ll try to eke them out as often as I can :)
Today’s recipe is perfect for this time of year – warm and cozy without being too heavy. As much as I love my pumpkin mac and cheese, it definitely hits different than this vegan superfood soup! I also love soups because they’re so customizable. Now that I think of it, I don’t think I’ve ever found a soup recipe in a cookbook and actually stuck to it. I always have to put my own spin on things
! And it works out that way, especially if there are veggies in the fridge to use up. I hope you’ll take a similar approach with this recipe – it’s meant to be more of a template than anything. Feel free to customize or substitute to your heart’s desire! Enjoy!
Vegan Superfood Soup
- 4 Tbs Olive or Avocado Oil
- 1 White Onion rough dice
- 2 Cloves Garlic finely minced
- 1 Jalapeño seeds removed, diced
- 1/2 Cup Chopped Green Bell Pepper rough dice
- 1 Cup Chopped Carrots rough dice
- 3-4 Stalks Celery rough dice
- 4 Cups Vegetable Broth
- 2 Cups Water
- 1 Tsp Salt or more, to taste
- Pepper to taste
- 1/2 Tsp Ground Turmeric
- Juice from 1/2 Lemon
- 1/2 Cup Cucumbers quartered
- 1/2 Cup Spinach finely chopped
- Celery Greens if you want
- Hemp Seeds if you want
- Gluten-Free or Plain Pasta if you want
- To start, bring your oil to medium-high heat in a large pot.
- Add in your vegetables and sauté until they begin to brown. You want them to have a bit of char, but still maintain their firmness.
- When they're just browned, add in the vegetable broth, water, salt, and spices. Stir for a minute, then carefully taste and adjust seasoning if desired (i.e. add more salt).
- Simmer the soup for 10 minutes on low heat. When done, remove from heat.
- Add in the lemon juice, spinach, and cucumbers. Do NOT add in the greens earlier than this, they will wilt.
- Garnish with celery greens or hemp seeds, if you'd like.
- I would say that this serves 2 people as a full meal, and 3-4 as a side. Adding pasta will increase these numbers!
- Feel free to add in any other vegetables you have on hand, like green beans, asparagus, scallions, kale, etc.
- Make sure to fully remove the ribs and seeds from the jalapeño for less heat. If you like things spicy, keep them in!
For more vegan and vegetarian recipes and meal inspiration, be sure to follow along on Instagram @wellandfull! If you make a recipe, please tag me in the photo and use the hashtag #wellandfull so I can see! I love seeing your creations!