I’m writing this as Winter Storm Stella / Blizzard Eugene swirls around me. Locked in with my roommate and two of our friends, we’re having a “work from home party” as the storm rages on outside. Unfortunately, I’m also dealing with an anomalous cold / stomach bug that kept me up all night. Oh well! Today’ll be a good day to catch up on emails and my nutrition schoolwork.
Today’s recipe is another sneak peek into the type of food I eat on the regular – some sort of base of greens, with crunchy roasted chickpeas (of course), and some odds and ends as toppings. This particular flavor combination was inspired on an unseasonably warm day, when I was craving some Tex-Mex flavors. Each bite of this vegan chipotle salad is a delight – with the crunchy romaine, crispy tortilla strips, creamy vegan cheese (I like Follow Your Heart brand), and chipotle chickpeas. I didn’t provide a dressing recipe (as much as I usually like to) because this salad goes well with a lot of dressings. Also, I like to encourage my readers to change around flavors as they like, because everyone’s preferences are different!
Nutritionally, the vegan cheese and tortilla strips don’t add a whole lot to this salad, but romaine is a great source of Vitamin A, Vitamin K, and folate. Plus, it’s low in calories, so you can eat as much as you like without going into caloric overload. (Which is helpful if you’re someone like me, and like to eat by volume!) The chickpeas, on the other hand, are a great source of plant-based protein and fiber – plus, they’re just delicious! I know you’ll love this salad!!
- 1 15 oz Can of Chickpeas, rinsed and dried
- Drizzle of Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- ¼ Tsp Salt
- ½ Tsp Chipotle Chili Powder
- ½ Tsp Garlic Powder
- ¼ Tsp Chili Powder
- ⅛ Tsp Cumin
- Chopped Romaine, as much as you like
- Crunchy Tortilla Strips
- Shredded Vegan Cheese (optional)
- Your Favorite Salad Dressing
- Lime Wedges, for serving
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
- In a bowl, combine rinsed and dried chickpeas, olive oil, and spices. Mix well until chickpeas are evenly coated.
- On a baking sheet lined with tin foil or parchment paper, roast chickpeas for about 25 minutes, flipping halfway.
- Chop up some romaine hearts - I did about a half romaine heart per bowl. However, you can use as much as you like.
- Top the chopped romaine with the chickpeas, tortilla strips, and shredded vegan cheese (optional). Squeeze a little lime juice over everything (if you like), and top with your favorite salad dressing.
Quote of the Day:
In three words I can sum up everything I’ve learned about life: it goes on.
– Robert Frost