These Vegan Pumpkin Nachos are topped with a life-changing avocado queso – you’ll never want to go back to “regular” queso again!
Hey folks!! I’m super excited to bring this recipe to you today because it’s part of the 2018 Virtual Pumpkin Party – an online party where bloggers share their best pumpkin recipes. My former entries include:
2015: Vegan Pumpkin Gnocchi
2016: Chipotle Pumpkin Hummus
2017: Epic Pumpkin Tacos
And for this year’s party I’m sharing the recipe for these crazy delicious vegan pumpkin nachos with an absolutely STELLAR avocado queso. I’m going as far as to call it life-changing. Why? Because after trying this queso, you’re not going to ever want to have any other type of queso!
Most vegan queso recipes call for cashews; and while I love cashews, I wanted to create something different and exciting for these nachos. So I said to myself, “What’s creamy but still neutral enough to let the cheesy flavor shine through?”. And I had a eureka moment – AVOCADOS! This queso is like a hybrid between guacamole and my spicy vegan queso recipe (which I also highly recommend checking out). I had such a hard time photographing this recipe because I was so busy dipping my tortilla chips in the avocado queso. I would definitely try it out even if you’re not looking to make the nachos. It’s that good!!
Also, I want to say a few words about the actual pumpkin element itself. I wanted to use fresh pumpkin instead of purée in this recipe to keep things interesting. However, I probably choose the hardest way possible to break down my pumpkins – I cut the top off, scooped out the seeds and goo, and peeled it with a vegetable peeler. I like doing it this way because I don’t want to roast it twice. But if you have a better way to break down pumpkins that doesn’t involve cooking it twice, email me or leave a comment on this recipe!
Vegan Pumpkin Nachos w/ Avocado Queso
- 1 Small Sugar Pumpkin about 4 cups chopped
- Drizzle Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Salt + Pepper to taste
- 2 Avocados peeled and pitted
- 1/2 Cup Water
- 1 Large Clove of Garlic
- 1 Tbs Nutritional Yeast
- 1/4 Tsp Chili Powder
- 1/4 Tsp Cumin
- 1/2 Tsp Salt
The Rest of the Nachos
- Tortilla Chips
- Chopped Green Onions
- Chopped Parsley or Cilantro
- Roasted Pumpkin Seeds or Pepitas
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees F.
- To start, break down your pumpkin. I do it the hard way (even though I've heard there are better versions online, I like doing it this way. However, feel free to cut it up any way you'd like!). Cut the top off of the pumpkin and scoop out the seeds and goo. Then, cut it in half. Using a vegetable peeler, peel off the skin (it's very difficult!). Then, cut the peeled pumpkin into cubes. The final yield should be about 4 cups.
- Drizzle the chopped pumpkin with just enough olive oil to coat, plus salt + pepper to taste.
- On a baking sheet lined with parchment paper, roast the pumpkin for about 30-40 minutes, or until tender when pierced with a fork.
- While the pumpkin is roasting, make the avocado queso. Add all ingredients into a blender, and blend on high until smooth and creamy. Feel free to add in a little water to help it blend, but not too much or it'll dilute the queso.
Putting It All Together
- Lay out your tortilla chips on plates. Drizzle with the avocado queso, then top with the pumpkin, chopped green onions and parsley (or cilantro), and pumpkin seeds.
- Alternatively, layer everything on a baking sheet, and stick back in the oven at 400 degrees F for about 5-10 minutes so everything is warm. Either way is delicious!
If you make these vegan pumpkin nachos and post it on Instagram, be sure to tag me @wellandfull and #wellandfull so I can see! I love seeing your takes on my recipes :)
Gabriella @ Putumayo KitchenOctober 15, 2018 at 10:35 am
These look so tasty! I love the sound of the avocado queso … really nice to have an alternative to a cashew based recipe! xxxxx Gabriella
SarahOctober 15, 2018 at 8:42 pm
Thanks Gabriella! I’m really proud of how this avocado queso turned out :)
Brandon @ Kitchen KonfidenceOctober 15, 2018 at 5:03 pm
Avocado Queso?! Ok that’s officially on the must-make list. Especially since I love nachos :D Happy Pumpkin Day!!
SarahOctober 15, 2018 at 8:42 pm
Thanks Brandon!! Happy pumpkin party to you too :)
Kelsey @ Appeasing a Food GeekOctober 16, 2018 at 5:53 am
Ooooh this all sounds amazing. Love the nachos idea! Happy VPP! xo
Jess @choosingchiaOctober 16, 2018 at 8:11 am
That avocado queso OMG! That pumpkin party looks amazing and this is the perfect contribution!
RubyOctober 22, 2018 at 11:02 am
Love love love the look of these! I need that avocado queso in my life!
SarahOctober 22, 2018 at 12:58 pm
Thanks so much Ruby!! :)
Sara @ Cake Over SteakOctober 23, 2018 at 12:51 pm
I love this fun addition to the VPP! Thanks so much for joining in again this year. :-* xoxo
SarahOctober 23, 2018 at 3:18 pm
Thanks so much for hosting, Sara!! :)
Paleo Pumpkin Muffins with Almond Flour - Foolproof LivingApril 6, 2020 at 3:46 pm
[…] Vegan Pumpkin Nachos – Well and Full […]