This creamy pumpkin tomato soup is the perfect cozy fall meal! It’s so full of hearty, rich flavor, you won’t believe it’s vegan!
This is exactly the type of recipe I’m going for this fall. I just love feeling cozy and warm, and this creamy pumpkin tomato soup fits that vibe! What I also love about the recipe is that it’s perfect for that late summer to early fall transition, and utilizes a summer staple like tomatoes in a way that’s still cozy for chilly fall nights. For this recipe I actually used tomatoes from my Granny’s garden! She lives here in CT, and for whatever reason the soil at her house has always been perfect for tomatoes. I remember when my sister and I would visit her growing up, we’d always go outside and eat fresh tomatoes off the vine. That will always be such a great memory for me!
Just a quick note about the recipe – there are some ingredients in there that might seem weird for a soup. Namely, maple syrup and balsamic vinegar. But the balsamic vinegar gives the soup a hint of tanginess and richness, while the sweetness of the maple syrup balances out the bitter pumpkin and acidic tomatoes. Please don’t skip them :)
If it’s still too hot for you to even think about making soup, I’d recommend trying out these vegan pumpkin seed avocado dip! It’s like a fall-inspired guacamole type thing, and it would be the perfect snack for watching football!
Creamy Pumpkin Tomato Soup
- 4 Tbs Olive Oil
- 1/2 Red Onion diced
- 4 Cloves Garlic minced
- 4 Leaves Fresh Sage finely minced
- 1 1/2 Tsp Salt
- Black Pepper to taste
- 1/2 Tsp Smoked Paprika
- 1 Tsp Dried Basil
- 1 1/2 Cups Fresh Cherry Tomatoes
- 2 15 oz Cans Fire-Roasted Tomatoes
- 1 15 oz Can Pumpkin Purée
- 2 Cups Vegetable Broth
- 1 1/2 Tbs Maple Syrup
- 1 Tsp Balsamic Vinegar
- Start by bringing your oil to medium-low heat in a large pot.
- Add in the onion and sauté until the onion is slightly translucent, about 2-3 minutes.
- Then, add in the garlic, salt, spices, and fresh tomatoes, and sauté until tomatoes can be easily crushed with a spoon - about another 5-6 minutes.
- Then add in the cans of fire-roasted tomatoes, pumpkin purée, vegetable broth, maple syrup, and balsamic vinegar, and stir well.
- Simmer soup UNCOVERED for 20 minutes, scraping the bottom of the pan and stirring about every 5 minutes.
- When done, remove soup from heat and let cool slightly. Carefully pour the soup into a high-speed blender and blend until completely smooth and creamy, about 1 minute.
- Pour the soup back into the pot and keep warm until ready to serve.
- Serve soup with any garnishes you like. Grilled bread or grilled cheese sandwiches are a classic pairing.
For more vegan and vegetarian recipes and meal inspiration, be sure to follow along on Instagram @wellandfull! If you make a recipe, please tag me in the photo and use the hashtag #wellandfull so I can see! I love seeing your creations!
SonalDecember 29, 2020 at 3:17 am
Delicious soup and photography :)
SarahJanuary 3, 2021 at 9:05 am
Thank you! :)