This is the best vegan avocado toast recipe, with grilled bread and a well-seasoned avocado mash to top it off!
On my Instagram feed I have a ton of photos of this avocado toast, but I realized I’ve never really written up an official recipe! Avo toast has cemented its place as one of the top food trends over the past few years, but I definitely think it’s earned the hype! I love having this recipe for breakfast or a snack because it combines carbs for a quick energy boost + healthy fat from the avocado, which keeps me full.
This recipe is for (what I’m sure is) the best vegan avocado toast, but you could mix it up with whatever toppings or additions you like ;) Here are some variations that would be super tasty:
1 // Pesto Avocado Toast
While mashing the avocado, swirl in about a tablespoon of your favorite pesto. My Vegan Kale Pesto recipe is perfect for this! For toppings, add on some toasted pine nuts or walnuts and chives.
2 // Everything Bagel Avocado Toast
After you toast your bread, add on a thin layer of your favorite cream cheese, then add on the avocado. OR, mix in about 1-2 tbs of cream cheese with the avocado. Top the toast with everything bagel seasoning.
3 // Sunny-side Up Avocado Toast
For a vegetarian version, top the toast with a fried egg, extra black pepper and red pepper flakes, and some sprouts or microgreens.
4 // Avocado Bagel Toast
Try this avocado mash with a bagel instead of bread! I would recommend trying this out with spinach, garlic, everything, or sundried tomato bagels.
The Best Vegan Avocado Toast
- 2 Slices Sourdough Bread
- 1/2 Avocado
- 1 Tbs Freshly Squeezed Lemon Juice or more to taste
- 1/4 Tsp Salt or more to taste
- Black Pepper to taste
- Hot Paprika
- Pumpkin Seeds
- Red Pepper Flakes
- Start by toasting or grilling your bread. I highly recommend using sourdough, but a whole grain loaf or gluten-free bread would be great too!
- While the bread is toasting, scoop out the avocado from its shell, and mash in a bowl with the lemon juice, salt, and black pepper. You can definitely use a whole avocado if you'd like, just add in more seasonings to your preference.
- Once bread is toasted, spread the seasoned avocado mash onto the toast. Add whatever toppings you like... I always add hot paprika, pumpkin seeds, and chili flakes.
- Serve warm and enjoy!
For more vegan and vegetarian recipes and meal inspiration, be sure to follow along on Instagram @wellandfull! If you make a recipe, please tag me in the photo and use the hashtag #wellandfull so I can see! I love seeing your creations!