Healthy, easy Vegan Chickpea Scramble! Perfect for breakfast!
This chickpea scramble breakfast bowl is my vegan answer to scrambled eggs. I can’t take credit for the idea of “scrambling” chickpeas, but this is my version that I’ve come to love. Chickpeas are such a interesting ingredient…. the water in which the chickpeas sit in their can – known as aquafaba – has amazing, egg-like properties, and can be used for baking or even to make meringues. In this recipe, the aquafaba lends the chickpeas their scrambled egg-like texture.
Chickpea Scramble Breakfast Bowl
- 1 15 oz Can of Chickpeas
- 1/2 Tsp Turmeric
- 1/2 Tsp Salt
- 1/2 Tsp Pepper
- 1/4 White Onion diced
- 2 Cloves Garlic minced
- Drizzle Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Mixed Greens
- Handful of Parsley minced
- Handful of Cilantro minced
- In a bowl, pour out chickpeas AND a little bit of the water they're in. Mash chickpeas slightly with a fork, leaving some whole. Mix in turmeric, salt, and pepper until evenly combined.
- Then, mince garlic and dice onion. Heat a pan over medium heat with a drizzle of olive oil. First, sauté the onions until they are soft. Then add the garlic and continue sautéing until garlic is fragrant - about a minute or so. Be careful not to let garlic brown!
- When onions and garlic are done, add in mashed chickpeas and sauté for about five minutes.
- Assemble the breakfast bowls. Add in some mixed greens at the bottom of the bowls, topped with the chickpea scramble. Top with minced cilantro and parsley. Serve with avocado slices.
Quote of the Day:
Your time is limited, so don’t waste it living someone else’s life.
– Steve Jobs
If you make this recipe and post it on Instagram, be sure to tag me @wellandfull and #wellandfull so I can see! I love seeing your takes on my recipes :)