This healthy, vegan Italian Grinder Salad is the perfect way to enjoy classic grinder flavors without bread! But it also can be served in a sandwich, on toast, or tossed with pasta for a delicious pasta salad.
One of my husband’s favorite take-out meals is an Italian grinder sandwich from Jersey Mike’s. If you’re not familiar with it, it’s a sandwich shop that was founded on the Jersey Shore in 1956. Jersey Mike’s offers classic Italian-American grinders along with cheesesteaks, BLTs, and portobello mushroom sandwiches. The best part of their repertoire is “The Juice” – a blend of red wine vinegar, oil, and spices that they sprinkle over the sandwiches. I’m not usually a huge grinder person, but when I tried the lettuce, onions, and tomatoes smothered in The Juice, I became a total convert.
I don’t always make copycat recipes at home, but I knew I had to recreate this grinder classic. Today’s recipe is the plant-based version of the best parts of the Italian grinder. It takes the veggies used at Jersey Mike’s to make a versatile salad that can be used in a ton of ways.
What can I make with this Italian Grinder Salad?
It’s delicious on its own, but you can also toss it with pasta for a healthy pasta salad, eat it on bread or toast, or use it to make a custom grinder.
What’s in the salad?
The recipe is dead simple – it’s just lettuce, tomatoes, onion, and a homemade vinaigrette. You probably have everything you need to make the dressing in your pantry already!
How can I customize it?
In this recipe I used the classic Jersey Mike’s vegetables, but other additions would be delicious too:
- Kale or cabbage
- Shredded Brussels sprouts
- Bell Peppers
For a non-vegan version, other additions can include:
- Feta or chopped provolone
- Mozzarella balls
- Deli meats
What do I need to know before making this Italian Grinder Salad?
This salad tastes best when it’s fresh. You can prep the vegetables ahead of time, but only toss them with the dressing right before serving. That way everything stays crisp and fresh!
Vegan Italian Grinder Salad
- 1/2 White or Yellow Onion sliced thin
- 1 Head Iceberg Lettuce sliced thin
- 2 Cups Cherry Tomatoes halved
- 2 tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 1/2 tbsp Red Wine Vinegar
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Oregano
- Black Pepper to taste
- Red Pepper Flakes to taste
- Prep all of your veggies as instructed. Set aside until ready to serve.
- In a bowl, add all of your dressing ingredients and whisk well.
- When it's time to serve the salad, toss the veggies with the dressing.
- Keep the dressing and the salad separate until serving.
- However, if using this salad to make a sandwich, it can be kept in the sandwich so that the bread absorbs the dressing. The salad will keep in a sandwich for 1-2 days.
For more vegan and vegetarian recipes and meal inspiration, be sure to follow along on Instagram and TikTok! If you make a recipe, please tag me in the photo and use the hashtag #wellandfull so I can see! I love seeing your creations!
PATMay 19, 2023 at 7:52 am
LOOKS GOOD I WILL BE MAKING IT.
SarahMay 21, 2023 at 2:45 pm
Let me know how you like it :)
PATMay 25, 2023 at 9:59 am
THANK YOU BEST EVER