Happy 2016, everyone!!
I hope all of you had a wonderful New Year’s Eve! Did any of you make resolutions? I kind of have mixed feelings about resolutions, because they never really seem to stick. I can’t even remember what mine were from last year! But I also think that it’s a really nice tradition to make goals for the upcoming year. So I’ve decided to write down my goals here, to sort of cement them for all posterity! Here they are:
- Become a Certified Holistic Nutritionist.
- Finish my Yoga Teacher Training.
- Be kind and loving to myself.
- Fight, every day, against living in fear.
- Be a constant example of love and grace.
- Cultivate an equanimous mind.
- Eat cleaner and healthier.
I was a little scared of writing my goals down, because it makes them feel so real. But even if I can’t achieve all of them this year, I’m sure as heck going to try to!!
It is my last resolution that inspired this salad here. Labeling things with the word “detox” is rather controversial nowadays, because the scientific consensus is that the body naturally detoxifies itself, and that things like juice cleanses and detox programs don’t really do much for the body. However (and I’ve already written a little about this here), there is no harm in eating a diet full of nutrients and clean foods to aid the body in its natural detoxification process. In fact, certain foods have been shown to aid and augment detoxification. For example, studies have shown that turmeric helps reduce bile duct blockage in the liver, aiding in the liver’s role in detoxification.
However, the best way to flush toxins from your body is by drinking lots of water, which is the premise behind this salad. Composed of watery vegetables full of nutrients like Vitamin K (from the cucumbers), and Vitamins C and B6 (from the green bell peppers), this salad helps your body naturally detoxify itself. So if one of your New Year’s Resolutions is to eat cleaner (like me!!), then this salad is perfect for you. Not to mention it’s delicious too ;)
Super Green Detox Salad
- 1 Cucumber chopped
- 1 Green Bell Pepper chopped
- Mixed Greens
- Sprouts or Baby Greens
- 1 Tbs Hemp Seeds
- 1 Avocado
- 1/4 Cup Water
- 1 Tbs Tamari
- 1/2 Tbs Maple Syrup
- 1/3 Cup Fresh Cilantro packed
- 1/3 Cup Fresh Parsley packed
- 1/2 Tbs Fresh Oregano
- 1/2 Tsp Salt
- 1/2 Tsp Pepper
- Start by making the dressing. Add all ingredients into a blender and blend until smooth.
- Chop cucumber and bell pepper.
- To assemble the salad, mix the greens, bell pepper, and cucumber. Top with sprouts and sprinkle with hemp seeds. Top with as much dressing as desired.
Song of the Day:
Honey & I – Haim
If you make this recipe and post it on Instagram, be sure to tag me @wellandfull and #wellandfull so I can see!