This Vegan Kale Superfood Salad is packed with plant-based flavors and textures! The perfect no-cook meal for the warmer months!
This recipe was created in collaboration with Bob’s Red Mill, a brand that I trust and use in my own kitchen. All opinions are my own, and I hope you love superfood salad!
A year ago, I would have NEVER considered making a sweet and savory salad. Or putting fruit in salad. I wasn’t super picky growing up, but I had these rigid rules in my head that sweet should be sweet and savory should be savory. But he first time I put fruit in a savory recipe was in this Autumn Pumpkin Apple Stew – the apples took on this delicious, potato-like texture. Then, over a year later, I randomly woke up one day and was like, “I want to make a strawberry barbecue sauce.” Yes, it was really that random!!
Once I made that strawberry barbecue sauce, my mind and palate opened up into the world of sweet and savory! Don’t get me wrong, I still love my solely salty and savory dishes, but now I have more of an appreciation for other dishes. I was feeling so bold that I went to Whole Foods and bought a superfood kale salad, with strawberries, blueberries, cashews, red onions, and a sweet goji berry vinaigrette.
The salad was pretty good, but I felt that the cashews were too strong of a flavor for the berries. So, I remade the salad using Bob’s Red Mill pumpkin seeds – the perfect amount of texture and nuttiness, but still allowing the berries to shine. I know Bob’s is mainly known for their range of flours, but they actually have a ton of grains, nuts and seeds, and even oatmeal! All of their products are of the highest quality, and I love working with them!
This is the Well and Full version of that superfood kale salad I found at Whole Foods! Instead of using goji berries, which can be expensive and hard to find, I made a slightly spicy-sweet orange vinaigrette that really goes well with everything else. The red onions are quick-pickled to create a more mellow flavor, but feel free to omit them if they’re not your thing! Paired with raw pumpkin seeds and roasted sunflower seeds, this salad is full of delicious plant-based texture. Enjoy!
Vegan Superfood Kale Salad
- 6 Cups Curly Kale chopped
- 2 Tbs Fresh-Squeezed Juice from an Orange
- 1 Tbs Fresh-Squeezed Lemon Juice
- 2 Tbs Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1/4 Tsp Salt
- 1/4 Tsp Black Pepper
- 1/8 Tsp Cayenne
- 1/2 Tsp Orange Zest
Pickled Red Onions
- 1/4 Red Onion thinly sliced
- 2 Tbs Water
- 2 Tbs Fresh Squeezed Lemon Juice
- Pinch of Salt
The Rest of the Salad
- 1/8 Cup Roasted and Salted Sunflower Seeds
- 1/8 Cup Raw Pumpkin Seeds
- 1 Cup Blueberries
- 1 Cup Strawberries quartered
- Start by making the pickled red onions. In a bowl, add in thinly sliced red onion, plus the water, lemon juice, and salt. Stir the onions so that they're all coated, then let rest while you make the rest of the salad (or for at least 15 minutes).
- Then, make the vinaigrette. Combine all vinaigrette ingredients into a bowl and whisk together.
- Prep your curly kale by removing any large pieces of the stem, then chopping the kale into bite-sized pieces.
- Toss the kale with the vinaigrette with your hands, mixing it so that the kale pieces are entirely coated.
- Then, add in the rest of the ingredients (including the marinated red onions). Top off the salad with the sunflower and pumpkin seeds last (so they don't go to the bottom).
- The red onions in this salad are completely optional. If they're not your thing, feel free to omit!
If you make this Superfood Kale Salad and post it on Instagram, be sure to tag me @wellandfull and #wellandfull so I can see! I love seeing your takes on my recipes :)
SarahAugust 5, 2019 at 2:41 pm
I’m so glad you considered adding fruit because I love it in my salads! Especially this combo with kale and berries. Such a healthy and beautiful salad!
SarahAugust 7, 2019 at 8:32 am
I’ve been really getting into the fruit in salads idea! :) Thanks Sarah!!