This Balsamic Fig Pasta Salad is full of rich, savory flavors thanks to the mission figs and balsamic vinegar. This recipe is plant-based with a gluten-free option!
This recipe includes an ad for California Figs. I developed this recipe organically, and all opinions are my own!
I remember when I posted this Autumn Pumpkin Apple Stew almost two years ago, I was SHOOK (albeit at myself) that I had created a savory recipe that also had sweet elements in it. It was the first time I had ever done that on my blog, despite having been blogging for two years at the time. But now, I’m really warmed up to the idea of savory + sweet together. I’m really proud of myself for expanding my culinary boundaries and trying new things, it’s been great and very delicious!
For today’s recipe, a plant-based Balsamic Fig Pasta Salad, I combined California mission figs with balsamic vinegar, mustard, and other seasonings to create a delicious sauce. Paired with broccoli and red onions (which become nice and sweet when roasted), every bite is packed with sweet and savory flavor.
When California Figs invited me to create a recipe for them, I was really excited because I’ve always preferred dried figs to fresh. When a fruit gets dried the flavor becomes more concentrated and intense, and it really shines in the sauce here.
While I developed this recipe organically, the California Figs organization has an amazing cookbook available that you can buy on their website here. One thing I saw in the cookbook that I really want to make is there fig tomato pasta sauce – it looks so tasty! I can’t wait to explore making recipes with figs, and I want to thank everyone at California Figs for working with me on such a delicious project :)
Balsamic Fig Pasta Salad
- 8 oz Gluten-Free or Whole Wheat Bowties or Fusilli
- 2-3 California Mission Figs
- 2 Tbs Balsamic Vinegar
- 1/3 Cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 Tsp Dijon Mustard
- 2 Cloves Garlic
- 1/2 Tsp Salt
- 1/2 Tsp Pepper
- 2 Tbs Water
- 2-3 Tbs Lemon Juice to taste
- 4 Cups Broccoli Florets
- 2 Tbs Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1/2 Red Onion cut into large slices
- 1/4 Tsp Sea Salt
- Pinch Black Pepper
- 1 Handful Arugula
- Figs cut in half, optional
- Preheat your oven to 425 degrees F.
- First, prep the vegetables. Cut the broccoli into florets then cut the red onion into large slices.
- Toss vegetables with the olive oil, salt, and pepper, then bake in the oven for about 15-20 minutes, or until edges of broccoli are slightly browned.
- Cook your bowtie or fusilli pasta until al dente. When done, drain and set aside.
- While pasta is cooking, make the sauce. In a high-speed blender and blend until smooth and creamy.
- Taste, and adjust seasonings if necessary. Feel free to add more salt or lemon juice, to taste.
Putting It All Together
- First, mix the pasta with the sauce until all the pasta is evenly coated.
- Then, in a large bowl, mix pasta, vegetables, and arugula.
If you make this Balsamic Fig Pasta Salad and post it on Instagram, be sure to tag me @wellandfull and #wellandfull so I can see! I love seeing your takes on my recipes :)