These vegan black bean burgers are hearty, delicious, and packed with plant-based protein!
This post was created in collaboration with One Degree Organics, a brand I’ve been working with for over two years. I love One Degree Organics because they are an ethical, family-owned business with high-quality products. All opinions stated here are my own!
Sneaking in with one final recipe in 2018!! I’ve taken the past week off to be present with my friends and family over the Christmas holiday, and I’m really glad I did. I’ve written about this on my blog before, but 2018 may have been the hardest year of my life (with 2017 coming in for a close second). There were some unexpected, traumatic things that happened that really tested my resilience. And while I was dealing with these issues, I wasn’t as good of a friend or family member as I would’ve liked to have been. I was so focused on just getting by that I didn’t have anything left to give as a friend. But I am incredibly blessed to have an amazing group of friends that didn’t give up on me during this difficult time. They were continually there for me while expecting nothing in return. And even though 2018 may have been a really hard year, I am so grateful to have strengthened the bonds with my family of friends.
It’s this focus on family that makes me feel so proud to work with a brand like One Degree Organics. They are a family-owned business operating out of British Columbia that produce exceptional, high-quality products. Their goods are sold at Whole Foods and many other stores in the United States, which can be found on their store locator. This recipe I’m sharing today is created with their quick oats, which lend body and texture to these vegan black bean burgers. (I love these oats, but my favorite product of their is definitely their incredible bread. Their lentil grain bread in particular is sublime!)
In 2019 I have a bunch of delicious recipes to share with you, along with some very big news ;) ;) Since this is my last post of 2018, I’m going to sign off with best wishes to all of you for a healthy, happy, and prosperous New Year! With love from my family to yours!
Vegan Black Bean Burgers
- 1/4 Cup Red Onion chopped
- 1 Clove Garlic
- 1/4 Cup Rolled or Quick Oats
- 1/4 Cup Breadcrumbs
- 1/4 Cup Walnuts
- 2 Tbs Ground Flaxseed
- 1 Tsp Salt
- 1/2 Tsp Paprika
- 1/4 Tsp Cumin
- Black Pepper to taste
- 1 15 oz Can Black Beans rinsed and dried
- 2 Tbs Olive Oil
- 1-2 Tbs Water
- Neutral Vegetable Oil for sauté
- In a food processor, add in the chopped onions and the clove of garlic. Process until everything is minced finely.
- Then, add in the oats, breadcrumbs, walnuts, flaxseed, salt, and spices. Process until the mixture forms a chunky meal.
- Then add in the black beans and olive oil, plus 1 tbs of water. Process until the mixture is chunky and pliable (there should still be some chunks of black beans in the mixture - you don't want it to be totally smooth).
- If the dough is too crumbly, add in the additional 1 tbs of water.
- Let the dough rest for 10-15 minutes. DO NOT skip this step!!
- Then, cut the dough into four even portions.
- Bring a sauté pan to medium heat with a drizzle of a neutral vegetable oil.
- While the pan is heating, shape the dough into burgers. (Use the photos here for a reference.)
- Cook each burger in the pan with oil for about 4-5 minutes on each side.
- Serve the burgers on your favorite bun with lettuce, tomatoes, and red onion. (Or any fillings you like!)
If you make vegan black bean burgers and post them on Instagram, be sure to tag me @wellandfull and #wellandfull so I can see! I love seeing your takes on my recipes :)