These Rustic Herb Mashed Potatoes are the perfect Thanksgiving side dish! The potatoes are mashed with the skins on to create a deliciously rustic texture.
Hitting you up with another Thanksgiving recipe this week! These Rustic Herb Mashed Potatoes are super simple to make, but with a huge flavor payout. What I love about these potatoes compared to regular mashed potatoes is the chunky texture that really livens things up.
This year I’m hoping to have a low-key Thanksgiving with my fiancé. We’re seeing my dad’s side of the family on Thanksgiving day, then I’m hoping we can put up our Christmas decorations the day after! I have to admit, I like Christmas way more than Thanksgiving. Believe it or not, Thanksgiving is actually my least favorite holiday. This is probably an unpopular opinion, I know. But I don’t like holidays that are centered around eating. This is because if I eat too much in one meal, I get intense stomachaches. But if I don’t fill up my plate with enough food, my aunts will inevitably comment on it and give each other worried looks as if something’s wrong.
However, I do want to add that this type of peer pressure affects me less and less every year. It can be really uncomfortable when people give you unsolicited nutrition advice or talk about you behind your back. But something I am learning more as each year of my life goes by is that the opinions of others, especially about your life choices, DO NOT MATTER! Especially on a holiday like Thanksgiving. Let me be the first one to tell you that you can fill up your plate as much or as little as you like, and it’s nobody’s business! Thank you for coming to my TED talk ;)
These mashed potatoes would be delicious with my French Onion Stew!
Rustic Herb Mashed Potatoes
- 4 Russet Potatoes skin on
- 6 Tbs Butter or Vegan Butter melted
- 2 Tbs Olive Oil
- 2 Tsp Dijon Mustard
- 2 Tbs Chopped Fresh Parsley
- 1 Tbs Chopped Fresh Rosemary
- 1 Tsp Salt or more to taste
- 1/2 Tsp Pepper
Milk or Almond Milk
- 1/2 Cup Milk or Almond Milk
- To start, wash and dry your russet potatoes. Leaving the skin on, chop them into 1-2 inch chunks.
- Bring a large pot of water to boil. Boil the potatoes for about 15-17 minutes, or until tender when pierced with a fork (but not totally mushy). When done, drain the water then add the potatoes to a large bowl.
- While the potatoes are boiling, mix the flavorings together. Melt the butter or vegan butter, then add in all other seasoning ingredients. Whisk until everything is evenly mixed.
- When potatoes are drained and in the bowl, use a hand-masher to mash the potatoes. You can mash them as little or as much as you like, but I like leaving chunks to keep the rustic texture.
- Then, stir in the seasoning mix plus the milk or almond milk. Stir until everything is evenly mixed.
- Taste, and adjust seasonings to your preference. If the flavors feel a little flat, add in a pinch of salt or two.
- Serve mashed potatoes warm.
- This recipe is easily made vegan using vegan butter and almond milk.
- For a savory vegetarian spin, add in 1/2 - 3/4 cup FRESHLY grated parmesan.
If you make these Rustic Herb Mashed Potatoes and post it on Instagram, be sure to tag me @wellandfull and #wellandfull so I can see! I love seeing your takes on my recipes :)