Happy Sunday, everyone! Did you all have a good weekend? I like Sundays because they’re definitely a little slower than Saturdays… taking longer to get out of bed, more time for slow (and sometimes boozy) brunches. Admittedly, brunch can be kind of hard for vegans. As nearly every brunch item is centered around eggs, going out for brunch can sometimes be a bit of an ordeal. My solution – potatoes. There’s always some form of potatoes on the menu. I personally have been known to order two orders of hash browns for my brunch, and it’s awesome. The best way to go would probably be ordering hash browns and a house salad, because then you can mix them into the salad and have a well-balanced meal.
Ooooor you could just make your own epic vegan brunch at home, like this breakfast bowl. It’s what vegan dreams are made of… crispy hashbrowns, addicting coconut bacon, and a perfectly green tangy pesto that ties it all together. Let me tell you, I gobbled up this whole bowl in a heartbeat after I was done photographing it. It’s that good!
Green Pesto Breakfast Bowl
- 2 Golden Potatoes shredded
- Heat Tolerant Oil like avocado
- Salt to taste
- 2 Cups Fresh Basil packed
- 1/3 Cup Fresh Parsley packed
- 1/3 Cup Fresh Cilantro packed
- 1/3 Cup Hempseed Oil sub EVOO if needed
- Juice from 1/2 Lemon
- 1/4 Cup Sunflower Seeds
- 1/2 Tsp Salt
- 1 Tsp Black Pepper
- Greens of your choice
- Hemp or Sesame Seeds for garnish optional
- 1 Batch Coconut Bacon
- Start by making the coconut bacon - directions here.
- Prep your potatoes by washing and drying. Using a cheese grater, shred the potatoes.
- Using a towel or paper towels, wring out as much water as you can from the potatoes, until they're fairly dry.
- Bring a frying pan to medium heat with a little oil. Add potatoes and sauté until golden brown. When done, sprinkle with salt to taste.
- Make the pesto by combining all ingredients in a food processor, and processing until smooth.
- Build the breakfast bowls with a layer of greens, topped with the potatoes, coconut bacon, and pesto. Top with hemp or sesame seeds for extra crunch, if desired.
Song of the Day:
Simple Love – Alison Krauss
If you make this recipe and post it on Instagram, be sure to tag me @wellandfull and #wellandfull so I can see! I love seeing your takes on my recipes :)