This Spicy Vegan Mac and Cheese is healthy, savory, and packed with plant-based flavor! Made with whole food ingredients. This recipe is nut-free and made without cashews!
Let me tell you something. This Spicy Vegan Mac and Cheese is where. it’s. at. Longtime followers of Well and Full will know that I used to be vegan – in fact I was for two years. Since then I have transitioned into a vegetarian, mostly gluten-free diet, but recently I was told by my doctor to limit dairy. I guess everything comes full circle, right?
When I’m opting for mac and cheese I usually go with Annie’s brand – they have gluten-free and vegan varieties – but nothing beats homemade. For this recipe, I set out to make something that was super big and bold on flavor. Don’t be too daunted by the long list of ingredients – everything serves a purpose and contributes to the whole.
Another thing I love about this recipe is that it’s nut-free. That’s right, no cashews! I have used cashews in some of my dairy-free cheese recipes (this queso is BOMB), but this recipe gets its creaminess from blended potatoes. While cashews do often lend creaminess, nuttiness, and more depth of flavor to vegan dairy-based recipes, they’re easily swapped out for potatoes in this version. I hope you enjoy the recipe! :)
Spicy Vegan Mac and Cheese
- 1 Lb Pasta
- 1 1/2 Russet Potatoes peeled and chopped into cubes
- 1 Roasted Red Pepper from a jar
- 2 Cloves Garlic
- 1 Tbs Yellow or White Miso
- 1/8 Cup Chipotle Hot Sauce
- 1/8 Cup Barbecue Sauce
- 1/8 Cup Olive Oil
- 1/2 Tbs Fresh-Squeeze Lemon Juice or more if needed
- 1/4 Cup Nutritional Yeast
- 1 Tsp Chipotle Powder
- 1/2 Tsp Black Pepper
- 1/2 Tsp Garlic Powder
- 1/8 Tsp Smoked Paprika
- 1 Tsp Salt or more if needed
- Bring a pot of water to boil. While water is heating up, peel your potatoes and chop into 1" cubes.
- Boil the potatoes for about 5-10 minutes, or until they can be pierced with a fork (but not too mushy). Check often to ensure doneness.
- When the potatoes are ready, drain and carefully add to your blender. You can let them cool first if possible. Then, add in all other ingredients and blend on high for AT LEAST 30-60 seconds. If you don't have a high-speed blender, blend for even longer to ensure creaminess.
- Taste, and adjust seasonings if needed. I added a little more lemon juice and salt.
- Then, cook your pasta of choice in salted water until al dente. When done, drain and toss with the sauce.
- Add any toppings you like - I used chopped almonds, but breadcrumbs would also be delicious!
- For the chipotle hot sauce, I recommend Cholula or Siete brands. But any kind will do! However, I wouldn't recommend buffalo or Frank's hot sauce.
- Yes, I added fresh garlic and garlic powder. Each has a very different taste, and adds a lot to the recipe!
If you make this Spicy Vegan Mac and Cheese and post it on Instagram, be sure to tag me @wellandfull and #wellandfull so I can see! I love seeing your takes on my recipes :)
EviApril 14, 2020 at 11:15 am
What a yummy mac and cheese recipe! I love the addition of barbecue and chipotle sauce here 😍
SarahApril 14, 2020 at 1:52 pm
It really adds so much flavor! :)
priyaApril 29, 2020 at 10:57 am
Mac and cheese looks so delicious.
SarahMay 2, 2020 at 6:21 pm
Thanks so much, Priya! :)