Today’s recipe is quite appropriate for a little announcement that I’ve been sitting on… if any of you didn’t see this on my Super Green Detox Salad post, I am now excited to announce that I’ve decided to get my certification in Holistic Nutrition. I haven’t chosen a program yet, but my goal is concrete and I hope to one day be a CHN (certified holistic nutritionist). This goal is lightyears away from my current career path as a data management consultant. But after so many years of letting others influence my academic and career paths, I’ve decided to finally do what I want to do.
This will not only be a huge change for my career, but for my life. I’ve never really known what it’s like to do what I want; to follow my own dreams. But my choice to pursue holistic nutrition is spurred by my love of food (obviously!) and my love of helping others. Being a holistic nutritional counselor, I can help others with their health goals and how to live their best lives possible. I would also like to use this space to educate about nutrition to my readers, much like my idol, Sarah B. of My New Roots, who is also a holistic nutritionist!
I’ll definitely be posting more details as I choose the program that’s right for me. But I wanted to send a special shout out of Sophie of The Green Life, who graciously answered a ton of my questions about transitioning from corporate life and becoming a holistic nutritionist. You’re the best, lady! 🙂
- 1 Cup Brown Rice, uncooked
- 3 Cups Kale, chopped
- 1 Tbs Hemp Seeds
- 1 Tbs White Sesame Seeds
- 1 Tbs Black Sesame Seeds
- ½ Cup Mung Bean Sprouts
- 2 Tbs Shoyu
- ¼ Tsp Red Pepper Flakes
- Squeeze Fresh Lime
- ½ Cup Pepitas
- Drizzle of Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- ½ Tsp Black Pepper
- ½ Tsp Sea Salt
- Start by cooking the brown rice according to manufacturer's instructions. When done, let cool and set aside.
- Preheat the oven to a low broil. Mix pepitas, olive oil, salt and pepper until well combined. On a baking tray lined with parchment paper, broil pepitas for about 1-2 minutes, or until browned. Set aside for later.
- Combine all salad ingredients and toss until evenly combined. Add in shoyu, red pepper, and lime, and mix well. Mix in roasted pepitas.
- Garnish with any extra seeds and extra red pepper flakes (if desired).
Song of the Day:
Something Good – alt-J