Spring is right around the corner. My big puffy coat has been relegated to the back of the closet, and I’ve been venturing outside just in a light sweater and a scarf. This past weekend it was even warm enough to go rollerblading outside in a t-shirt! It was glorious.
I would be remiss, however, if I didn’t sneak in this sweet potato macaroni bake before the weather turns – a cozy, healthier version of vegan mac and cheese. I know there are about 2.3 million versions of vegan mac and cheese on the interwebs, but after much tweaking this version has emerged as my personal favorite. I won’t lie and say this tastes exactly like mac and cheese. What it DOES taste like is an insanely creamy, cheezy, delicious macaroni bake that nourishes the body and warms the soul. Perfect for those chilly nights right before spring!
- 1½ Cups Sweet Potato, cubed (depends on size; can be between 1-3 potatoes)
- 1 lb Whole Wheat or Gluten Free Pasta of your choice
- 1 Cup Cashews, soaked 4 hours or overnight
- ¾ Cup Almond Milk
- ⅓ Cup Nutritional Yeast
- ½ Tbs Miso
- ½ Tsp Garlic Powder
- ½ Tsp Salt
- ⅛ Tsp Cumin
- ⅛ Tsp Chili Powder
- ¾ Cup Sunflower Seeds
- ¼ Cup Nutritional Yeast
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Start by cooking your pasta according to manufacturer's directions. When done cooking, strain and set aside.
- Then, get your sweet potatoes ready. For this recipe I used two medium sweet potatoes, but ultimately you will want 1 and ½ cups of cubed sweet potato when done.
- Peel sweet potatoes, and chop into cubes.
- On a baking sheet lined with parchment paper, bake sweet potato cubes for about 15 minutes, or until soft.
- Measure out 1 and ½ cups of the cooked sweet potato, and add to a blender with your cashews, almond milk, nutritional yeast, miso, and spices. Blend on high until mixture is smooth and creamy.
- Pour sauce over pasta and mix well, then transfer to an oven-safe casserole dish or pan.
- In a food processor, combine sunflower seeds and nutritional yeast. Pulse until mixture is combined but still fairly chunky.
- Pour as much topping as desired over your macaroni bake.
- Broil macaroni bake in the oven for about 5 minutes, keeping an eye on it to ensure it doesn't burn.
- Serve hot and enjoy!
Quote of the Day:
We must be our own before we can be another’s.
– Ralph Waldo Emerson