mains + sides/ recipes

Caramelized Onion Pasta

Caramelized Onion Pasta | Well and Full | #vegan #pasta #recipe

I’m really excited to share this recipe with you all today, because it was one of my more popular posts on instagram. The idea to make a simple pasta dish was inspired by the fact that I’ve been incorporating more carbs into my diet, thanks to directions from my GI doctor. While I’ve seriously been missing raw vegetables and salads, it’s been a nice change to just eat a big bowl of pasta guilt-free. Which kind of makes me wonder… why should anyone feel “guilty” about eating a bowl of pasta in the first place?

This is something that’s been a constant criticism about those in the wellness business. Some wellness personalities (some – not all) have kind of lent a certain morality to foods, implying that some are upstanding, good; and others are bad, dirty, or impure. (This isn’t counting the ethical reasons behind veganism). And to be fair, there is some truth to that – a bag of preservative and artificial-coloring laden chips is definitely not the same thing as a bowl of freshly made rice and steamed vegetables. But should anyone feel guilty about eating those chips if that’s what they really want to eat? No!

I know I’ve certainly made myself feel bad for eating things like chips or junk food in the past. And it’s true – those things are not the most nutritiously meritorious foods ever. They’re just not. But should I GUILT myself for indulging in junk food, if it’s just something my body is really calling me to eat? No. Food shouldn’t be a gauge of my – or anyone else’s – worth as a person. I’m not a bad person if I have a bag of chips. I’m not a worse person than someone who eats “clean” all the time. And on the same token, that person who eats “clean” isn’t a worse person because they eat that way. Food choices are personal, because we’re all different. So how can we compare each other based on what we eat? It just doesn’t make any sense to do so. Let people make their own choices.

So here’s a delicious pasta recipe, that you should enjoy GUILT-FREE. It’s super simple – with only a handful of ingredients, but the depth of flavor is incredible, thanks to the caramelized onions. Before making, I would highly recommend reading this guide by The Kitchn about how to caramelize onions – it’s a fantastic resource. I hope you all enjoy this pasta! :)

Caramelized Onion Pasta | Well and Full | #vegan #pasta #recipeCaramelized Onion Pasta | Well and Full | #vegan #pasta #recipeCaramelized Onion Pasta | Well and Full | #vegan #pasta #recipe

5.0 from 3 reviews
Caramelized Onion Pasta

Prep time
Cook time
Total time

This caramelized onion pasta has only a handful of ingredients, but has an intense depth of flavor from the sweet and savory caramelized onions, and a pop of freshness from the lemon.
Serves: 2-3
  • 12 oz. Casarecce Pasta (or other pasta, like ziti or penne)
  • 3 Medium Vidalia Onions
  • Extra Virgin Olive Oil, for sauté
  • Juice from 1-2 Lemons (to taste)
  • Salt and Pepper to Taste
  1. Start by prepping the onions - cut the onions in half, then cut the halves into thin, C-shaped slices.
  2. Bring a sauté pan to medium-low heat, and add the onions. Now comes the waiting - let the onions cook down for about an hour, stirring every 5-10 minutes or so. Be careful to not let the pan get too hot - the onions will burn. Just keep the pan on medium low heat, and let them cook down slowly. It's time consuming, but well worth the wait. For a more comprehensive guide on caramelizing the onion, please see this article from The Kitchn.
  3. While onions are cooking down, cook the pasta according to package directions. I used casarecce but you can use any sort of tubular pasta, like ziti or penne. Rotini or fusilli would probably work too. When pasta is done cooking, drain and set aside in the pot you used to cook it in.
  4. When onions are done cooking, they should be a gorgeous brown color and will smell amazing. Scrape the onions into the pot full of pasta, and mix well. Add in juice from the lemons (taste and adjust if needed), and salt and pepper to taste.
  5. Serve and enjoy!

Fernando @ Eating With Your Hands
    June 14, 2016 at 11:50 am

Nothing guilty about ANY pasta, and especially a bowl like this!

June 14, 2016 at 1:38 pm

:D My thoughts exactly! ;)

Puja Darshan
    June 15, 2016 at 7:16 am

It’s so tempting, My stomach is growling at these pictures.

June 15, 2016 at 9:16 am

Thanks Puja! :D

Jess | Urban Alchemy
    June 15, 2016 at 8:21 am

Thannnnnkkk yooooou! I read the linked article and definitely think there’s a better way to voice our opinions than judge or bash other people for theirs. You’re totally right, we should NOT judge people based on their food choices — that’s bananas and unfortunately happens way too often.

PS. Pasta looks delicious so thank you for that, too. <3

June 15, 2016 at 9:16 am

I couldn’t agree more, Jess :) Thanks girl!

Diana
    June 15, 2016 at 8:38 am

This pasta will definitely happen in my kitchen this week. I love caramelized onion….Btw: beautiful photos! Kisses

June 15, 2016 at 9:17 am

Thank you Diana!! I hope you like it! :D

Pia
    June 15, 2016 at 10:50 am

You go enjoy your pasta, Sarah!
    And thank you for that little ramble, I couldn’t agree more. Although I’m certainly not going to lie, and must thus admit that I myself would still feel the need to justify an unhealthier choice (such as for example white pasta, anything with refined flour, sugary foods, etc.) to myself. In saying that however, it’s all a matter of attitude, and since we as humans are very well capable of learning, I’m sure this, too, can be worked on and a slightly more relaxed mindset can be adopted.
    And once again, I have written far more than anyone probably cares for…
    My deepest apologies for that, and Happy midweek to you :)

June 15, 2016 at 12:58 pm

You’re always welcome to write your thoughts here, Pia! I love hearing what my readers think :) But you’re right, it’s all a matter of attitude. You have to eat what’s right for YOU! :)

Kelly // The Pretty Bee
    June 15, 2016 at 11:38 am

This looks so yummy! And that bowl is very pretty, too.

June 15, 2016 at 12:59 pm

Thanks Kelly! :D

Ice Pandora
    June 15, 2016 at 2:03 pm

I’m gonna make this tomorrow for supper :D !!
    Xx Ice Pandora

June 15, 2016 at 9:33 pm

Awesome!! Please let me know how you like it! :D

Natalie | Feasting on Fruit
    June 15, 2016 at 2:03 pm

I’m all about the carbs! Pasta isn’t even usually my first choice carb, but I would devour this in an instant!

June 15, 2016 at 9:33 pm

Thanks Natalie!! :D

danielle | rooting the sun
    June 16, 2016 at 9:20 am

Sarah – beautiful pasta! Caramelized onions are one of the greatest joys in my life. I used to turn my nose up at onions when I was younger, and now I think I may eat them every day. — Perfect sentiments on ‘junk’ food, as well. Food choices are totally personal, and that’s a beautiful thing. No guilt included!

June 16, 2016 at 9:27 am

Aren’t caramelized onions the best? :) And I’m glad you liked my little rant on “junk” food and eating choices – I just felt I had to get it out there!! ;) Thanks Danielle!

Gena
    June 17, 2016 at 6:21 am

I really agree with your thoughts on food and guilt, Sarah, and to that I’d add the note that while there’s certainly a difference, nutritionally speaking, between potato chips and rice and veggies, a great many of the health claims made in the wellness world are actually misleading or overstated. Which means that the guilt is unfounded, and the health/nutrition concerns are unfounded, too. Glad the carbs are helping to regulate digestion, as they do.

And thank you for this beautiful bowl of pasta! Caramelized onions are magical.

June 17, 2016 at 9:29 am

Great point, Gena! That’s kind of the danger of being a consumer in the wellness world nowadays… it’s kind of scary to see all the misinformation that is out there. :/

Ashlae
    June 17, 2016 at 9:45 am

YAY FOR MORE CARBS and hell no to feeling guilty about eating a bowl of pasta. My normal go-to is a 2-3 serving bowl smothered in olive oil and roasted garlic but I’m going to HAVE to give this caramelized onion version a try. Really digging this recipe, lady!

June 17, 2016 at 11:01 am

I LOVE simple pasta with olive oil and garlic. It’s such a winner! <3 Thanks Ashlae, sending hugs!

Starr
    June 17, 2016 at 5:55 pm

This dish looks wonderful. Nothing beats caramelized onions!

June 18, 2016 at 8:34 am

Caramelized onions are the best!! Thanks Starr :)

Anna
    June 20, 2016 at 3:25 pm

Oh yum! I love onions! Is I could, I would add it to almost everything! :) and this looks and sounds just pure awesome!

June 21, 2016 at 9:03 am

Thanks Anna!! :D

Traci | Vanilla And Bean
    June 21, 2016 at 8:52 am

It seems more damage can be done stressing out about food, what’s healthy, what’s not… and not being able to enjoy the carbs or sweet stuff as we, as health conscience individuals, want to AND recognize is right for us. I’ve seen it so many times, friends and family following ‘rules’ of dieting only to fail in the long run over and over again at maintaining a healthy weight. The struggle for many is overwhelming. I’ve been thinking about a Summer pasta salad because it’s something I love too! Nothing like a pile of pasta.. and with caramelized onions? Dreamy! I love this simple, delicious recipe, Sarah! Thank you for sharing your thoughts and this mouthwatering recipe! xo

June 21, 2016 at 9:13 am

That’s such a good point, Traci – diets and rules are so much more likely to fail if you just give up everything you truly like to eat! That’s why I just say everything in balance, you know? :) Thanks girl! <3

Evi @ greenevi
    June 21, 2016 at 12:26 pm

What a perfect pasta dish!!! <3
    So simple and so delicious! You won't believe it, but the last weeks I ate 3 or 4 times pasta with caramelized onions, it's really amazing. And I still can't get enough of it, though my onions never looked as pretty as yours :)

June 21, 2016 at 1:12 pm

I believe you haha!! Caramelized onions are such a great addition to pasta ;) Thanks Evi!!