The inspiration for today’s recipe was borne out of the fact that I don’t have any overnight oats recipes on this blog, but it was about damn time I posted one. It’s funny, I feel like I’ve posted so many recipes to this space (120 to be specific), but there’s still so much I haven’t done. For example, I don’t have a popsicle recipe. No pizza recipes. And a troublesome scarcity of snacking recipes. Which, to be honest, is almost criminal – because snacking is probably my favorite hobby. No matter! I shall rectify these matters immediately, starting with my overnight oats recipe today.
These blueberry overnight oats are a great way to have a complete and nutritious breakfast, packed with fiber and nutrients, but for anyone who doesn’t have time to cook a big breakfast in the morning. I love oats because they’re such an underrated nutritional superstar. They’re a great source of the minerals manganese, selenium, and phosphorus, and are also a fantastic source of soluble dietary fiber. This type of dietary fiber is important because it binds to bile acids in the small intestine and removes them from the digestive system. It’s also worth mentioning that this type of soluble fiber helps lower your bad cholesterol levels (LDL), by reducing its absorbability into the bloodstream. Who knew that oats were so amazing? So when you dig into a bowl of these delicious blueberry overnight oats, you’ll also be nourishing your body in the best possible way.
- ½ Cup Blueberries
- ⅔ Cup Almond Milk
- ½ Banana
- ⅛ Tsp Cinnamon
- 1 Cup Rolled Oats
- In a blender, combine blueberries, almond milk, ½ banana, and cinnamon. Blend until smooth.
- In a bowl, combine blueberry mixture with oats and mix well, until oats are evenly covered.
- Spoon oats into small jars (I used mason jars). Cover, and leave overnight in your refrigerator.
- In the morning, heat oats up in the microwave and serve with almond milk, berries, and coconut flakes (if desired).
- Sweeten with a little maple syrup or honey if you like.
Song of the Day:
20 Years – The Civil Wars