This post was written in collaboration with One Degree Organics. All thoughts and opinions are my own, and I think One Degree Organics rocks! Thank you for supporting the brands that support Well and Full.
How has your weekend been? If you’re in the Northeast like me, you probably spent a decent amount of time yesterday shoveling / playing in the snow. We had some extra helpers, too – one of my and Ryan’s best friends from college has been visiting since Wednesday with another friend of ours, and our tiny little apartment has been full of laughs, ridiculous jokes, and friendship. Our other best friend has been visiting too, so on average I’ve had about 3-4 hungry dudes to cook for all weekend.
All I can say is THANK GOODNESS I had these vegan chocolate rice krispie treats waiting in the freezer. They’re made with chocolate hazelnut butter and One Degree Organic’s Sprouted Brown Rice Cacao Crisps (which are delicious to snack on, by the way) – both of which are whole food ingredients, so these treats are deliciously filling and healthy. And I especially love that the rice crisps are sprouted – which means that they’ve been soaked to help remove the phytic acid from the grain (which can inhibit nutrient absorption). So they’re sprouted AND chocolate AND delicious AND healthy?! Yes, you are reading this correctly. It’s all true!!
These rice krispie treats are also the perfect goodies to make someone who thinks “vegans only eat lettuce” or whatever. The ingredients are all 100% vegan and ridiculously simple – vegan chocolate hazelnut butter (which you can make at home if you like), coconut oil, dates, maple syrup, coconut, brown rice crisps, and pepitas. And they’re SO GOOD. Plus, they take about 15 minutes to throw together (not including chilling time), so they’re a pretty low-maintenance dessert too. I hope you all love this recipe as much as I do!! :)
- 1½ Cups Chocolate Brown Rice Crisps
- ¼ Cup Shredded Coconut (plus more for topping)
- ⅓ Cup Pepitas
- 1 Cup Vegan Chocolate Hazelnut Butter
- ¾ Cup Pitted Dates
- 2 Tbs Coconut Oil
- 1 Tbs Maple Syrup
- In a saucepan, combine coconut oil, chocolate hazelnut butter, and maple syrup. Bring saucepan to low heat, and stir until coconut oil is melted and everything is combined. When done, let cool for a few minutes.
- In a blender or food processor, combine wet mixture from saucepan and pitted dates. (Be sure to make sure you let the wet mixture cool first.) Blend until dates are puréed into the mixture.
- In a bowl, combine wet mixture, brown rice crisps, pepitas, and shredded coconut. Mix well until everything is evenly covered.
- Pour the rice krispie treats into a 9x9' baking pan lined with parchment paper. If desired, top off bars with a dusting of shredded coconut.
- Put the treats in the freezer for a half hour to let them set. When done, cut into slices and serve.
- If you're not serving the treats immediately, keep them in the refrigerator. The rice krispie treats will melt a little if left out at room temperature.
Quote of the Day:
Friendship is born at the moment when one man says to another “What! You too? I thought that no one but myself…
– C. S. Lewis