breakfast + brunch/ recipes/ vegetarian

A Vegetarian Breakfast Salad

A Vegetarian Breakfast Salad | Well and Full | #vegetarian #recipe

I’ve written about five versions of this post, trying to figure out what to say. You see, I care about this blog and YOU, the readers, so darn much – and I always want to be real with you and respectful of you.

So here goes – Well and Full is going vegetarian. In the time since I announced that I wasn’t vegan over a year ago, I haven’t posted any recipes that have reflected the entirety of my new diet. (And I say entirety because I still do eat mostly vegan – just with some local, organic eggs and cheese mixed in sometimes.) But starting now, Well and Full will be a resource for both vegan and vegetarian recipes.

I’ve learned many lessons on my (very rocky) journey to health and wellness, but what I’ve learned most of all is that health looks different for everyone. For some, that could mean all the salads, zucchini noodles, and green smoothies. For others, that could mean salads AND omelettes AND pizza (#me). Both are okay!! The point is, I’ve learned not to judge anyone else because their plate looks different than mine.

It’s also really important for me to affirm that EVERYBODY is welcome here at Well and Full – vegans, vegetarians, and omnivores. Whether you’re looking for plant-based inspiration or just trying to eat a little less meat, there’s a recipe here for you! In the future, there will be a mix of vegan, vegan-option, and vegetarian recipes that focus on natural, seasonal ingredients.

If you have feedback, or any vegetarian OR vegan recipe suggestions you’d like to see, the comments are open! All I ask is that things are kept respectful – it’s my goal to nurture a welcoming environment here, based on the values of kindness and respect.

Sending hugs to you all!

A Vegetarian Breakfast Salad | Well and Full | #vegetarian #recipe

A Vegetarian Breakfast Salad

This vegetarian breakfast salad is the perfect way to start your day, with complete protein from the hard-boiled eggs and a tasty crunch from the coconut bacon!

Prep Time 10 minutes
Cook Time 20 minutes
Total Time 30 minutes
Servings 2

Breakfast Salad

• 1 Recipe Coconut Bacon (see recipe notes)
  • Spinach Greens
  • Red Onion sliced
  • 1 Avocado cut in half and sliced
  • 2 Hard-Boiled Eggs omit to make vegan

Lemon Tamari Vinaigrette

• Juice from 1 Lemon
  • 4 Tbs Extra Virgin Olive Oil
  • 2 Tbs Tamari
  • Pinch Cayenne
  • Lots of Fresh Cracked Black Pepper

1. Start by making the coconut bacon (recipe link in the "notes" section).

2. To make the hard boiled eggs, put 2 eggs in a pot of cold water. Bring to a light boil, then let the eggs boil for 1 minute. Then, turn off heat and let eggs sit in the hot water (still on the burner) for 6 minutes. After, plunge the eggs into a bowl of ice water to cool. When ready to serve, peel the shell of the eggs and cut in half.

3. Assemble the vinaigrette - in a bowl, mix all vinaigrette ingredients and whisk with a fork. Taste, and adjust seasonings. You can add salt if you like, but the tamari should be salty enough for this dressing.

4. Assemble the breakfast salads - first, put down a layer of spinach. Then, pile on the sliced red onions, sliced avocado, halved eggs, and coconut bacon. Drizzle everything with as much vinaigrette as you like (there may be some left over).

5. Serve, and enjoy!

Recipe Notes

For the coconut bacon recipe, click here!

A Vegetarian Breakfast Salad | Well and Full | #vegetarian #recipe

Traci | Vanilla And Bean
    September 27, 2017 at 1:27 pm

Welcome back lady! So happy to read and learn about your shift in focus. Indeed, that’s why I read so many blogs.. each one offers something different. I don’t look at blogs as an all or nothing approach… each is as unique as the individual behind the recipes and words. Thank you for sharing with us, Sarah. Now about that coconut bacon… I can’t wait to try it! I’ve seen it here and there and it sounds so tasty! I’m loving this beautiful, nourishing bowl my dear!

September 27, 2017 at 9:39 pm

Thank you so much for your kind words, Traci! I definitely agree that every blogger brings something different to the table. I had just kind of set up this mental roadblock that W+F HAD to be about healthy, plant-based recipes and couldn’t ever evolve… but that’s not how life works, people are continually evolving and changing!

Maura Paulekas
    September 27, 2017 at 5:44 pm

Your health should always be a priority and if it isn’t working for you then others should not judge. I will continue to follow and get inspiration to try things that are outside my meat and potatoes upbringing. Love to you!

September 27, 2017 at 9:45 pm

Thank you so much for your kind note, Mrs. Paulekas! It means so much to me that you read/follow this blog!! I completely agree that health is a priority… in fact, it’s really everything. And the foods that make us feel healthy are different for everyone. I’m still figuring it all out, but I’m really making great strides to feeling healthier and better. Sending love right back to you and Mr. Paulekas, Ryan, Amy, Kev, and Windy too!! :)

Katya
    September 28, 2017 at 2:03 pm

Firstly, your salad looks ABSOLUTELY delicious :)))When I was an omnivore, eggs and avocado on toast were my favourite breakfast :)))
    Secondly,I’ve been on a bit of a journey myself and it recently occured to me that a) all our journeys are different and we find solace, comfort and happiness in different things and b) we need to respect it. So I’m really happy to read that all are welcome here, we definitely need a lot of kindness in our lives.
    And thirdly, as for your vegetarian recipes, I’d be interested to know what types of cheese do you prefer?
    Take very good care of yourself

September 28, 2017 at 4:33 pm

Hi Katya, thank you so much for your kind words. The things you wrote only recently occurred to me too. I used to think that there was “one” way to wellness, and it took a while for me to challenge that assumption. But ultimately what’s more important to me is being kind and welcoming to my readers, and providing them with a service (i.e. recipes) that will bring joy into their lives. If I can make one person happy, it’ll all have been worth it! :)

As to cheese, it’s still really important to me to think about animal welfare so I try to source local and sustainable foods. I’m really lucky to live so close to the Coventry Farmer’s Market, which is one of the best FM’s in New England (although I am biased! ;) ), and there they sell Mystic Cheese, which is one of my favorites. I’m also always on the lookout at Whole Foods for their “local spotlight” products and cheeses made from local farms. My family home is also near to a dairy farm, which I’ve visited many times and have actually “met” the cows. They make a killer ice cream!

But I definitely recognize that I am super privileged to live near such amazing resources. Food “deserts” are a huge problem in America and I want to be inclusive of all my readers and their food resources. Buying organic, when available, is usually good, but organic doesn’t always mean ethically raised (just to note). That being said, though, a lot of bigger supermarkets and stores (even Walmart!!) are putting out more organic, ethical foods. Woohoo!!

And after all this rambling, I realize what you probably meant is what VARIETIES of cheese I prefer… lol. My favorite cheese is Manchego, which is made from sheep’s milk, and I’ll never say no to a good vegetarian parmesan or sharp Vermont cheddar! ;) #NewEnglandForever haha!

Hugs!

Sarah @ Making Thyme for Health
    September 28, 2017 at 3:13 pm

I think it’s awesome that you are listening to your body and allowing your blog to be a reflection of that. We actually made the decision to go vegan in January but last month I decided to start eating eggs again to see if it would help with hormonal issues. The main reason I didn’t want to eat them in the first place is because of culling male baby chicks (which still hurts my heart) but they are supposed to be coming out with technology to detect the sex very early so that those eggs are never hatched and can go into the food system instead. I hope they come out with it soon.

But I digress, this salad looks like the perfect start to the day. That coconut bacon sounds too good!

September 28, 2017 at 4:45 pm

It hurts my heart too :( I don’t say that lightly, either. I think about it all the time and it does cause anxiety for me. Right now I buy Vital Farms eggs from my local Whole Foods, a company which has actually invested in the technology to determine the sex of the eggs. I know it’s not a “perfect” solution, but it’s a start. I’m hoping that people will realize that most people are just trying to do the best they can, finding a balance between their own health and the welfare of animals. It’s not easy, but raising awareness to these issues is the first step towards making this type of technology possible. Hugs, Sarah <3

Melissa Griffiths
    September 29, 2017 at 10:16 pm

Good for you for being true to you – that’s really the most important, right? I’ve never had salad for breakfast, but this looks delicious!

September 30, 2017 at 10:54 am

Thank you so much for your kind words, Melissa :) It feels awesome promoting the type of food that’s true to me :)

Elaine
    October 2, 2017 at 8:46 pm

Just dropping in on your journey but look forward to seeing where you go! Also. You’re blowing my mind with a breakfast salad and I’m loving it.

Also, health does look different to everyone. You can’t judge a book by it’s cover. Happy eating!

October 3, 2017 at 12:16 pm

Thank you so much for your note, Elaine :) I totally agree that you can’t judge a book by its cover… and also that you never know what health restrictions someone may have just by looking at them.

Erin A.
    October 4, 2017 at 4:42 pm

Good for you and listening to your body. You know how I feel about all of this! <3

Also, this salad looks SO good!

October 4, 2017 at 4:45 pm

Thank you so much for your support Erin <3 <3 Hugs!

Maya | Spice & Sprout
    October 8, 2017 at 6:46 pm

Totally with you and so proud of you for talking about this! Can’t wait to see all of the new recipes you have coming up. xx

October 8, 2017 at 10:36 pm