This Vegan Barbecue Lentil Burrito Bowl is the perfect plant-based and gluten-free bowl of deliciousness! Made with savory barbecue lentils, cilantro rice, and sautéed peppers.
It’s a snow day!!
We woke up to a fresh coating of snow this morning in Connecticut (well, an ice/snow mix, but I’m not complaining!). Having inclement weather like this is tricky for me because there’s usually not enough light to shoot recipes. But still, I’m so excited that winter is finally here!
Today’s recipe is perfect for a wintery day because burrito bowls are hearty, cozy, and nice and warm. I made this recipe with barbecue lentils because barbecue sauce is having a big moment in my kitchen! I love Trader Joe’s spicy sriracha barbecue sauce, but I also love Sweet Baby Ray’s varieties too.
What I love about this Barbecue Lentil Burrito Bowl is that it’s super customizable and low-key to make. I know there’s a bunch of ingredients in the recipe, but the steps come together pretty quickly once you’re at it. For my add-on’s I used Trader Joe’s spicy pico de gallo and pepita salsa, both super tasty options. I hope you enjoy this recipe!
Barbecue Lentil Burrito Bowl
- 1 Cup Green Lentils
- 2 Cups Water
- 1/2 Cup Barbecue Sauce
- 1 Tbs Hot Sauce
- 1/2 Tsp Salt
- 1/2 Tsp Black Pepper
Cilantro Lime Rice
- 1 1/2 Cups Medium-Grain White Rice
- 1 1/2 Cups Water
- 1/2 Tsp Salt
- 2 Tbs Avocado Oil
- 1/3 Cup Chopped Cilantro
- Juice from 1 Lime or more, to taste
Sautéed Onions and Peppers
- 1 Green Bell Pepper sliced
- 1/2 Red Onion sliced
- 1 Tbs Avocado Oil
- Pinch of Salt
- Pico de Gallo
- Your Favorite Salsa
- Fresh Cilantro
- First, make the lentils. Add the lentils and water to pot and bring to a boil. Once boiling, reduce to a simmer and cook until all liquid is absorbed (about 20-25 minutes). When done, remove from heat add in the salt, barbecue sauce, hot sauce, and black pepper, and stir. Set aside.
- While lentils are cooking, make the rice. Add the rice, water, and salt to a pot and bring to a boil. Once boiling, reduce to a simmer and cook until all of the rice is absorbed. When done, remove from heat and add in the avocado oil, cilantro, and lime juice. Fluff with a fork, then set aside.
- Cook the onions and peppers next. Bring the avocado oil to medium heat in a NON-STICK sauté pan. Once the oil is hot, add in the onions, peppers, and salt and sauté until the veggies are browned in places, about 5-7 minutes or so.
- Build your bowls - add in the rice and lentils, then layer on the veggies and any other toppings you like.
- I provided a water measurement for the rice and lentils, but this may not apply to the variety you bought. When in doubt, cook both using the package's directions.
If you make this Vegan Barbecue Lentil Burrito Bowl and post it on Instagram, be sure to tag me @wellandfull and #wellandfull so I can see! I love seeing your takes on my recipes :)