This Vegan Turmeric Detox Soup is full of warming spices and fresh vegetables to jumpstart your healthy eating regimen or cleanse!
I am adding this note to the beginning of all my detox recipes. There is no such thing as a “detox”, as the word is used colloquially. The human body naturally removes toxins through the liver, kidneys, digestive system, and other pathways – no juice cleanses required. However, I like to use the word detox in my recipes because of its connotations – starting fresh, eating nutritious food, and helping your body be its healthiest self. I hope you enjoy vegan turmeric detox soup!
Another healthy eating recipe for 2019! Soups and salads are my absolute favorite way to have a meal with big flavor, with lots of nutritious vegetables and spices to keep things healthy. This vegan turmeric detox soup is made with two of my favorite cleansing spices – turmeric and ginger – that make for a pungent, spicy broth.
I was just reading about turmeric in one of my favorite nutrition books, How Not to Die by Michael Greger M.D. (Amazon affiliate link). In clinical studies, turmeric (or rather, its therapeutic constituent curcumin) has been shown to provide a myriad of health benefits, including treating cancer, speeding up recovery after surgery, or preventing brain disease. But my favorite benefit of turmeric is that is contains anti-inflammatory properties. In many studies, it has proven effective in treating many inflammatory conditions such as lupus or IBD.
Unfortunately, the bad news here is that turmeric (or curcumin) isn’t well absorbed into the body’s bloodstream. In order to get a therapeutic benefit you would have to consume a lot of turmeric. However, eating black pepper in conjunction with turmeric has been shown to increase its absorbency. This vegan turmeric detox soup contains both turmeric and black pepper, for maximum health benefits. Feel free to add in even more turmeric, if you’d like (though it will be very pungent!).
Vegan Turmeric Detox Soup
- 1/2 White Onion chopped
- 1 Cup Chopped Carrots
- 1 Cup Chopped Celery
- Neutral Vegetable Oil for sauté
- 1/2 Tsp Ground Turmeric
- 2 Tsp Fresh Grated Ginger
- 2 Cloves Garlic
- 1 Cup Chopped Green Beans
- 1 Cup Chopped Kale
- 4 Cups Vegetable Broth
- Juice from 1/2 Lemon
- 1/2 Tsp Paprika
- Pinch of Red Pepper Flakes optional
- Salt to taste
- Black Pepper to taste
- 1 - 1 1/2 Cups Pasta of your choice
- Sprouts for serving
- Bring a drizzle of a neutral vegetable oil to medium heat in a large pot. Add in the carrots, celery, and onion, and sauté for about 5 minutes, or until softened.
- Then, add in the ground turmeric, fresh grated ginger, and garlic, and sauté for about 30 seconds, until fragrant.
- Then, add in the green beans and kale and sauté for another minute, until the kale is wilted.
- Add in the vegetable broth, lemon juice, paprika, red pepper flakes, black pepper, and salt, and stir well. Simmer for about 20-25 minutes.
- Then, add in 1 - 1 1/2 cups of your favorite pasta. I used chickpea cavatappi. Simmer the pasta until al dente, about 9-10 minutes.
- Serve soup with sprouts, if desired.
If you make this vegan turmeric detox soup and post it on Instagram, be sure to tag me @wellandfull and #wellandfull so I can see! I love seeing your takes on my recipes :)